Going meat free for a week

I did find that ordering so much veg was a lot cheaper than my normal shop. Four Tesco crates of stuff with no meat for under £40! But what to do with it all? :eek: So far, I have a plan for the aubergines involving mozzarella, lentils and pasta. Also, the inklings of a plan for the squash, parsnips and beetroot. I'm now worried I'm going to waste things...

Make a veg broth/soup- divide into separate pots and freeze. There are loads of different soups to make, have fun then freeze.

Over the next few weeks my husband will be working away from home off and on plus we have a couple of celebratory meals to look forward to. Once they are done then we can seriously think about doing this, it will be easy to be free maybe 1 day a week here and there.
Hmm...methinks you are procrastinating! :laugh:

This isn't fair. Here I am with huge amounts of vegetables (well actually its not 'here' because I'm in Canterbury, in a hotel at the moment. But its awaiting me when I get back tomorrow). Anyway, I have so many veg that the veg basket is overflowing and the salad trays of both fridges are stuffed to the gunnels. Squash, marrow, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, aubergines, peppers, sweet potato, old and new potato, spinach, swede, turnips. Oh and a bunch of raw beetroot (one with teeth marks in it*).

I appreciate your suggestion of soup @Lullabelle, but there is only so much soup I can manage. And the freezer is already quite full!

*see raw food thread

We are doing it in a couple of weeks, as Lu said, I'm all over the place work wise at the moment, and we are going away for a weekend. Mid September we will do it, I'm looking forward to it, but perhaps looking forward to the bacon buttie at the end of it more :wink:
Another procrastinator!:D

We are trying out various recipes ready for our meat free week. Today was mushroom risotto.

DSCN2187.JPG

Practicing! That's a step forward from procrastinating. :happy: I make this sometimes, using dried ceps. What kind of mushrooms did you use?

Practicing! That's a step forward from procrastinating. :happy: I make this sometimes, using dried ceps. What kind of mushrooms did you use?
A punnet of mixed 'shrooms with extra brown caps. Half I put in from the beginning to flavour the stock, and the other half I fried hard in butter to caramelise and added towards the end.

Beans are a very source of protein for your meatless meals. I like to eat as much vegetables as I can along with my beans... I cook a large bowl of beans that I can have available during the week. Brown rice is also very filling, more so than white rice. I may eat 3 or 4 days a week meatless, it is not that hard.

Yippee! I hope you will let us know what you are having each day...

I am not one to post lots of meal pictures so wasn't looking to do much of that but if you really want to know what we are having then I will gladly keep you up to date one way or another. Lunch tomorrow will be mushroom and ricotta ravioli :hungry:

I am not one to post lots of meal pictures so wasn't looking to do much of that but if you really want to know what we are having then I will gladly keep you up to date one way or another. Lunch tomorrow will be mushroom and ricotta ravioli :hungry:
Oh I wasn't meaning meal pictures, just the title of the dish. Mushroom and ricotta ravioli! Are you making your own pasta dough, then?

Back
Top Bottom