Great idea to keep food cold on the move

Local time
5:39 AM
Website
www.helium.com
We've always used those ice blocks you can buy in camping stores to use on the move, but recently I've found an even better solution. I freeze plastic bottles full of water, because they keep cool so much longer, and you can also drink the water afterwards.

500ml soft drink bottles are ideal, but the best ones are those plastic litre bottles that spirits are sold in on planes. When we went away last weekend, I put a frozen 1 litre bottle in the cool bag at 6.30am, and it still had some ice left in it at 11.00pm that night. We were able to eat the remnants of our picnic lunch the next day, as it was all still nice and cool.

How do you keep food cold on the move?

Digressing a little...

Because NT's freezer isn't used a lot, he'd made a lot of huge ice cubes in tupperware boxes, to fill the empty space and help efficiency. But I'm gradually filling it with blackberries, so he decided to ditch the icecubes. We put them in the sink:

IMAG1188.jpg

But it was a bit inconvenient, so we put them in the bath. At 11.45am. I melted the last bits with my shower at 8pm...

We've always used those ice blocks you can buy in camping stores to use on the move, but recently I've found an even better solution. I freeze plastic bottles full of water, because they keep cool so much longer, and you can also drink the water afterwards.
I like that idea.:thumbsup:
I usually carry small bottles of water so it would make sense to carry one bigger one as ice with a picnic.

I have about 6 of those blue freeze blocks for lunches. I put them in freezer bags (you can buy them at the grocery or dollar store. They are meant to keep food cold or hot). I live in a very small town that does not have a very good grocery store. I travel 55 miles to do my shopping and 55 back. So i needed some way to keep frozen food frozen. It works out great for me.

A few cars we've had have a refrigerated box obviously runs off the air conditioner so not as cold as a fridge ,and if you add a couple of the smaller ice packs works not to shabby,
:cold:
Or we use a plug in cool box,you lower the temp on the mains,then plug it into a supply on the car

Back
Top Bottom