Hangi nz style

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:57 AM
So this is from Left field .
Back story: in new Zealand the maori cooked their food in a hangi. Dig hole and light a huge fire put volcanic rocks to heat them up. Let it die down and put food in banana leaves wrapped. Then more leaves then cover up with dirt. Cover any holes where steam comes out. Leave for 3 to 4 hrs. Disassemble then eat. The food is amazing.

My way and others do it as well.:
I have a 44 gallon drum with perforated mesh over a base 3 inches from the bottom. There is a hole about 3mm just below that line. I place 2 legs of lamb and big piece of pork and 2 chickens.I wrap veges potatoes pumpkin kumara in old pillow cases and place on top. Water is in the drum and up to the drilled hole. Drum is sealed. Mine is hinged type.
Light double burner gas and when steam starts to come out cook u t it stops steaming..its ready
I usually cook for around 20 to 25.

The original hangi is used through the Pacific.

I ve been asked by family that havnt experienced a honky hangi.
I'm doing on my birthday.
Pics will follow.

Russ

So this is from Left field .
Back story: in new Zealand the maori cooked their food in a hangi. Dig hole and light a huge fire put volcanic rocks to heat them up. Let it die down and put food in banana leaves wrapped. Then more leaves then cover up with dirt. Cover any holes where steam comes out. Leave for 3 to 4 hrs. Disassemble then eat. The food is amazing.

That is a Barbacoa pit in Mexico/Texas. It is an Imu in Hawaii. Seems a lot of ancient cooking involved a hole in the ground, hot rocks, and banana leaves.

CD

Back
Top Bottom