Happy Mother's Day!

msmofet

🌹 🍉 Still trying to get it right.
Local time
2:44 AM
mothers-day.gif

Local chili parlor chain, but the chili is a chili sauce, for dressing spaghetti and topping hotdogs. It’s not meant for consumption via a bowl (though they will sell you a bowl and snicker from the kitchen at the out-of-towners :laugh:).

It’s a unique flavor for a chili, created by Greek immigrants to Cincy in the early 20th century, so it has that Mediterranean taste profile that uses some “warm” spices. It doesn’t taste anything like chili con carne.

Local chili parlor chain, but the chili is a chili sauce, for dressing spaghetti and topping hotdogs. It’s not meant for consumption via a bowl (though they will sell you a bowl and snicker from the kitchen at the out-of-towners :laugh:).

It’s a unique flavor for a chili, created by Greek immigrants to Cincy in the early 20th century, so it has that Mediterranean taste profile that uses some “warm” spices. It doesn’t taste anything like chili con carne.
I am so ready to sympathise with foreigners.
A pretty plain explanation clouded by differences like - 'snicker'.

I read - "though they will sell you a bowl and snicker" and I comprehended it as- they will sell you a chilli concoction with a chocolate bar in it"

Urr, chilli sauce and a peanut nougat bar doesn't sound nice.. maybe it's chopped into tinsy pieces and that works...
hang on (reads next bit) "out of towners" snickers isn't a bar, I give up 😂

Hmm this is above my translation pay grade 😂

Hmm this is above my translation pay grade 😂
Snicker, as in quietly laugh at you behind your back, for not knowing that Cincinnati-style chili is a sauce, and you’d no more eat a bowl of that than you’d eat a bowl of marinara on its own.

I also failed to explain the “3-way” connection - Skyline Chili dishes are ordered in ways; 3-way, 4-way, etc. - a 3-way is spaghetti, chili, and cheese, as per that picture up above.

I was so looking forward to greeting you and your hubs with, “I’d invite you for a 3-way, but I think your gluten allergy would get in the way,” and enjoying watching the two of you puzzle through that one. :laugh:

Snicker, as in quietly laugh at you behind your back, for not knowing that Cincinnati-style chili is a sauce, and you’d no more eat a bowl of that than you’d eat a bowl of marinara on its own.

I also failed to explain the “3-way” connection - Skyline Chili dishes are ordered in ways; 3-way, 4-way, etc. - a 3-way is spaghetti, chili, and cheese, as per that picture up above.

I was so looking forward to greeting you and your hubs with, “I’d invite you for a 3-way, but I think your gluten allergy would get in the way,” and enjoying watching the two of you puzzle through that one. :laugh:
Puzzle or run fast? 🤣

Stop messing with my American, it's already confusing enough
You’re going to be so discombobulated by the time you land on our shores, that your first fuel-up stop will be like this:

Shop attendant: “Seven gallons o’ gas…two Cokes…an’ two bags o’ Munchos. That’ll be…$29.73, please. Cash or card?”

<Silence from the SOAPs>

Shop attendant: “You payin’ wit’ cash or card, ma’am?”

Lady SOAP to Lord SOAP (side whisper): “I dunno if he’s asking for money or propositioning us! Damn you, Tasty!”

:laugh:

You’re going to be so discombobulated by the time you land on our shores, that your first fuel-up stop will be like this:

Shop attendant: “Seven gallons o’ gas…two Cokes…an’ two bags o’ Munchos. That’ll be…$29.73, please. Cash or card?”

<Silence from the SOAPs>

Shop attendant: “You payin’ wit’ cash or card, ma’am?”

Lady SOAP to Lord SOAP (side whisper): “I dunno if he’s asking for money or propositioning us! Damn you, Tasty!”

:laugh:
I'm beginning to see an evil side to you..
that makes me think we'll get along very well indeed 🤣

Although I might have to ask nicely if another American forum friend can protect me from you and teach me proper American!
Paging all upstanding American cooking bites members - help 😆

Snicker - laughing (we tend to snigger).
Snicker - a horse noise (ours whinny).
Snicker - a chocolate bar (A Marathon to the oldies before they changed it to 'Snicker' which my generation are still complaining about 😆).

Left me wondering what on earth Mars were thinking naming it after a laughing horse?!

Suddenly gripped with a desire to know why Mars irritated everyone with the name changes of Marathon and Opal fruits I had a look.
IMG_2796.jpeg

Sounds a tinsy bit scathing doesn't he! 😆

Back
Top Bottom