Hard or Soft Shelled taco?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:08 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Today (4 October) is National Taco Day, which had me asking the question - are you a fan of soft shelled or hard shelled tacos?

For me, I much prefer soft shelled!

lentil.jpg

tacos.jpg

I make my own shells which is much similar to how I make my own doughs for dumplings. After I formed the thin dough I quickly roast them on a pan which makes them crunchy. I am not sure if I can consider them as hard shell I am not aware about the soft ones.

We used hard shelled tacos when we are making our tacos at home. We have not yet tried using soft shelled tacos but maybe in some occasion I will try using this one for a change.

It does depend on what I want to eat, we do eat more soft shell tacos.

I like soft shelled tacos, but the hard shelled tacos have fewer calories so I tend to use those more often. Sometimes taco recipes specifically call for one or the other. I just bought taco shells this past week as the recipe I was making specifically called for hard shell tacos. They are quite good I think as well.

Well, I don't really eat tacos. I think I don't really understand them. Are they supposed to be a meal or a snack? Here we get the taco wraps in supermarkets and they are the soft sort. And what is the difference between a Burritto and a Taco and a Tortilla?

Hard shelled tacos make me want to eat less so hard shelled tacos it is! I don't like a lot of beans and white rice on my food because it makes me feel heavy-- because I usually associate it with burritos. I like my soft shelled tacos with a lot of beef and lime like the classic Mexican cuisine that it is.

Well, I don't really eat tacos. I think I don't really understand them. Are they supposed to be a meal or a snack? Here we get the taco wraps in supermarkets and they are the soft sort. And what is the difference between a Burritto and a Taco and a Tortilla?

@morning glory Tortillas are the corn or flour flatbread products that tacos are wrapped in. tacos are usually folded over and filled with meat or fish, as well as other things. I tend to stuff mine with avocado, rice, refried beans, meat, pico de gallo (diced garden vegetables such as tomatoes, chiles, etc.) and some salsa. Burritos are made with larger soft flour tortillas, and are stuffed, with the ends tucked under, so the food doesn't fall out.

I like both corn and flour tortillas, and both hard and soft. I often heat tortillas up directly on the gas jets before filling them, and the flour tortillas taste best that way.

@morning glory Tortillas are the corn or flour flatbread products that tacos are wrapped in. tacos are usually folded over and filled with meat or fish, as well as other things. I tend to stuff mine with avocado, rice, refried beans, meat, pico de gallo (diced garden vegetables such as tomatoes, chiles, etc.) and some salsa. Burritos are made with larger soft flour tortillas, and are stuffed, with the ends tucked under, so the food doesn't fall out.

I like both corn and flour tortillas, and both hard and soft. I often heat tortillas up directly on the gas jets before filling them, and the flour tortillas taste best that way.
So they are all more or less the same thing! (ish). And then there are quesadillas, fajitas, wraps and enchiladas, which also seem to be same-ish (apart from the latter which is distinguished by chilli sauce). So if a taco has chilli sauce on it, does it become an enchilada? Maybe they should all be called 'wraps'. That doesn't sound as exotic as the Mexican terms, though!

I love them both so it really depends on how I'm feeling whether I'll use hard shells or soft shells. Sometimes I make both and then every chooses what they want. My youngest only eats soft tacos and my oldest love hard tacos. My husband and I don't mind either. For me it's what you put inside the taco that makes it so great. I love beef tacos but i also really like fish tacos too. My absolute must have with tacos is sour cream and cilantro. I love the freshness cilantro brings to the taco. My husband loves his spice so I'll chop up a jalapeno pepper for him. My kids need cheese and lettuce. That's the beauty of tacos, it's make it yourself. I like to serve tacos when we have lots of kids over. They always find something that they like and can put on top of the meat.

So they are all more or less the same thing! (ish). And then there are quesadillas, fajitas, wraps and enchiladas, which also seem to be same-ish (apart from the latter which is distinguished by chilli sauce). So if a taco has chilli sauce on it, does it become an enchilada? Maybe they should all be called 'wraps'. That doesn't sound as exotic as the Mexican terms, though!

Yes, for the most part, the ingredients are the same or similar, and the differences tend to come with the manner of cooking. Enchiladas and tacos are my favorites :D. enchiladas are corn tortillas filled and rolled, placed in a pan with sauce (green sauce in my case), and also with cheese or sour cream, depending on the recipe/preference, and then baked in the oven. Tacos are filled then eaten, not cooked after being filled. Burritos are closer to enchiladas, but are made with larger flour tortillas and tucked under sort of like a diaper on the ends, and I find them to be somewhat doughy. Chimichangas are deep fried burritos. Tostadas are deep fried (usually thick and crispy) tortillas (they're actually sold that way, but you could buy or make regular thick tortillas and make your own) that are topped with things similar to what often goes in tacos, and eaten open faced. Flautas are another of my favorite, they're sometimes called taquitos, and are rolled tacos that are then fried before being served.

Yes, for the most part, the ingredients are the same or similar, and the differences tend to come with the manner of cooking. Enchiladas and tacos are my favorites :D. enchiladas are corn tortillas filled and rolled, placed in a pan with sauce (green sauce in my case), and also with cheese or sour cream, depending on the recipe/preference, and then baked in the oven. Tacos are filled then eaten, not cooked after being filled. Burritos are closer to enchiladas, but are made with larger flour tortillas and tucked under sort of like a diaper on the ends, and I find them to be somewhat doughy. Chimichangas are deep fried burritos. Tostadas are deep fried (usually thick and crispy) tortillas (they're actually sold that way, but you could buy or make regular thick tortillas and make your own) that are topped with things similar to what often goes in tacos, and eaten open faced. Flautas are another of my favorite, they're sometimes called taquitos, and are rolled tacos that are then fried before being served.
Phew! There are even more types than I thought! Its like learning a new language... seems like its second nature to you, just trips off your tongue. :D
Here there are TexMex restaurant chains but I confess I've never been to one. This style of food is gaining ground here and supermarkets stock lots of ready-meals which are 'wraps' in one form or other. But I think this type of cooking is far more prevalent in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom