Have you ever considered using onion powder?

I've used both granulated and powdered garlic in the past but never onion. Can't say I particularly like the taste of the garlic. I would much rather use fresh garlic.

I never bought onion powder because I like cooking onions and seeing them turn golden brown. I love how they smell and how they look when I add spices on top. I am strange like that.
Ironically enough, I use garlic powder alongside garlic, I just love how garlic tastes too and cannot get enough of it.i love sprinkling garlic powder on my popcorn too.

Garlic & onion powders come in 2 forms; granulated & pure powder form.

I tried using the pure powdered form and didn't like it because in time, it would cake up and become all hard! :wink:
I threw away my garlic powder when it began to harden, I thought it was ruined. I will look for granulated form, thank you.

I never bought onion powder because I like cooking onions and seeing them turn golden brown. I love how they smell and how they look when I add spices on top. I am strange like that.
Ironically enough, I use garlic powder alongside garlic, I just love how garlic tastes too and cannot get enough of it.i love sprinkling garlic powder on my popcorn too.

I threw away my garlic powder when it began to harden, I thought it was ruined. I will look for granulated form, thank you.

You welcome!

I will NEVER go back to that kind of garlic powder! I stick with the granulated type!! :wink:

I always prefer using fresh garlic and onion in my cooking. And using this kind of spices in powdered form is not on my mind. The taste of the food after cooking is great if I am using it in fresh form. I had tried it one time using a powdered garlic and onion and I am not satisfied with the result of the taste of the foods that I had cooked.

I always prefer using fresh garlic and onion in my cooking. And using this kind of spices in powdered form is not on my mind. The taste of the food after cooking is great if I am using it in fresh form. I had tried it one time using a powdered garlic and onion and I am not satisfied with the result of the taste of the foods that I had cooked.

I, also, use real onion & garlic when I cook, but I also like to use onion & garlic powder. I often think of it as a flavor enhancer!! :wink:

I use both granulated onion and garlic and also dried minced onion and garlic. Kept on a shelf away from the stove.

I bought onion and garlic powder on-line as a result of American posts on this forum. They aren't something we use here in the UK really. Supermarkets don't stock them. I've found them quite useful but they tend to dry out so need storing carefully.

Yep - use it all the time. I often get (sorry got) onion flakes (readily available in all supermarkets @morning glory ) and then ground them in my spice grinder to make onion powder. Usually use them in pates and the likes.
Are they really readily available in all supermarkets? Must look. I'm sure I must have looked otherwise why would I buy them on-line? OTOH I could be losing plot due to old age. Quite likely given my pending birthday. :eek::cry::meh:

Are they really readily available in all supermarkets? Must look. I'm sure I must have looked otherwise why would I buy them on-line? OTOH I could be losing plot due to old age. Quite likely given my pending birthday. :eek::cry::meh:
I don't know about your area but in Texas they are available in the spice aisle of every supermarket.

Usually around the mash potato section for some reason. IIRC that is. I am pretty sure that is where they are. I will look up the brand that they usually are... reddish packet and not expensive, but you need an air tight jar because once you have ground them, they like moisture and will set quite hard but it is easy to break the powder up with a spoon. I only grind them where they are used in pates and obviously you need the powder there.

Waitrose you look for this
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-49270-Whitworths+dried+onions

Sainsbury's (the same) http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/whitworths-dried-onions-40g

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom