Have you ever made homemade mayo?

I can't use sunflower oil because of it's known connections with breast cancer. Rapeseed oil is OK, however.
Oh - I didn't know about this connection! What does rapeseed oil taste like - neutral?

I'll have to have a go at making some. I can't eat commercially made mayo as it makes me feel quite ill, although I am not allergic to any of the ingredients and can eat them all separately.
Me too. I can eat small amounts of home-made but mostly I make it for others.

I have never used rapeseed oil....what does it taste like? I have seen that I can use half sunflower oil and half olive oil which sounds appealing to me.
It is mild. But sunflower oil will do - I'd go easy on the olive oil. Half and half sounds too much to me. You don't need much olive oil to get the taste (besides - sunflower or rapeseed is cheaper!)

It is mild. But sunflower oil will do - I'd go easy on the olive oil. Half and half sounds too much to me. You don't need much olive oil to get the taste (besides - sunflower or rapeseed is cheaper!)
Yes I know they are cheaper but I can get olive oil that is organic and cold pressed i.e. less processed. I will go with half and half then next time - with the rapeseed since Elawin shared the link of sunflower oil with breast cancer!

Yes I know they are cheaper but I can get olive oil that is organic and cold pressed i.e. less processed. I will go with half and half then next time - with the rapeseed since Elawin shared the link of sunflower oil with breast cancer!

Here is Felicity Cloake on the matter - from 'How to make the perfect mayonnaise'
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jul/01/how-to-make-perfect-mayonnaise

Now I've established my method, it's time to turn to ingredients. There's a tendency these days to assume that olive oil, with its healthy reputation and 'authentic' Mediterranean heritage, is always the best choice, but Nigel Slater says this can be bitter, and I notice that Michel Roux suggests using groundnut oil instead, although, he says, you can add a little extra virgin olive oil at the end if you like, just for flavour. Theo Randall, however, and Elizabeth David herself, stand by an all-olive mayo (although David concedes that it is best to choose "a mild, fruity" example, "as in mayonnaise its flavour is accentuated"). I buy an oil which declares itself to be light, and experiment, but I find the flavour harsh and overpowering. Add a dash or two of your favourite extra virgin at the end instead if you prefer an olive flavour.

I can only say that I've made mayo hundreds of times and I've tried every ratio of olive oil - and it really doesn't taste good with a lot. You can get organic cold pressed rapeseed oil BTW.

The trick to not poisoning people is the amounts of acid and salt.

If you don't add enough of each, mayo is only good for a couple of hours unrefrigerated. But with enough of both, you're good to go for the day, unless you are in high heat and humidity, of course.

Add some preservatives that further the acidity/salinity, and you're talking an extra day or so.

Right. Presumably. commercial mayonaisse does not contain any raw eggs. I daresay it does also contain other preservatives for other reasons. But it is the raw egg that is entirely the problem. Now I am not so squeamish as some about the idea of raw as such, but the risk of salmonella in raw egg is somewhat well documented. So I would hazard that the first thing is to use eggs that are as fresh as possible and then, as you have said, it eat it more or less immediately. Even then, I would suggest, all you are doing by that approach is keeping it within the bounds of what your own immune system can cope with sufficient speed and efficiency. So still, probably not recommended for the very young, the very old and pregnant women.

I just looked at my recipe book and I have an inserted tip saying that 2 tsp. of boiling water can be added to the mayo (standard recipe/quantity), once made, to stop it separating or turning oily, e.g. if keeping for a few days. Thereagain, another piece of info I have says that refrigerating the home made mayo is the cause of it splitting/separating!

Right. Presumably. commercial mayonaisse does not contain any raw eggs. I daresay it does also contain other preservatives for other reasons. But it is the raw egg that is entirely the problem. Now I am not so squeamish as some about the idea of raw as such, but the risk of salmonella in raw egg is somewhat well documented. So I would hazard that the first thing is to use eggs that are as fresh as possible and then, as you have said, it eat it more or less immediately. Even then, I would suggest, all you are doing by that approach is keeping it within the bounds of what your own immune system can cope with sufficient speed and efficiency. So still, probably not recommended for the very young, the very old and pregnant women.

If you are really concerned by the egg there is an alternative. Aquafaba (bean water) mayonnaise - its made using the liquid from tinned (white) beans or chickpeas. It may sound strange but it really works. I have made it! I think there may be a recipe here somewhere - if not I'll hunt one out. Basically you use the bean water in place of the egg yolk. There are a host of other things you can make with bean water too.

Last edited:
So can I just understand, if I buy a can of cannellini beans, or a can of mixed beans, that fluid that the beans are in is aquafaba? I can't buy aquafaba, just as aquafaba? Red kidney beans come in a fluid that is the same colour as the kidney beans but the cannellini beans and the mixed beans don't seem to affect the fluid to the same degree.

So can I just understand, if I buy a can of cannellini beans, or a can of mixed beans, that fluid that the beans are in is aquafaba? I can't buy aquafaba, just as aquafaba? Red kidney beans come in a fluid that is the same colour as the kidney beans but the cannellini beans and the mixed beans don't seem to affect the fluid to the same degree.

Correct. You use white bean 'canning water' or chick pea 'canning water' because the water is neutral coloured. If you used kidney bean water you would get a sludgy reddish-brown coloured mayo, I think!

You need about 4 tbsp of bean water. Place it in a beaker and use a stick blender - it soon becomes a foam. Gradually add oil until it looks like mayo. Add salt, lemon juice to taste.

Wonderful post .. Thank you.

Both ALI OLI ( Spanish Evoo + Egg Yolks + GARLIC ) and MAYONNAISE ( Spanish Evvo or French Evoo called d´Huile d´Olive, White wine Vinegar or Sherry Vinegar or Lemon Juice from a fresh squeezed lemon, a little garlic ) are a common daily dressing in Barcelona / Gerona and many other regions of the Iberian Peninsula.

SOME ADVICE:

1 ) NEVER make this without Spanish Evoo ..
2) ALWAYS use a METAL OR WOOD MIXING BOWL AND EITHER A WOODEN SPATULA OR JUMBO SIZED WOODEN FORK OR A STAINLESS STEEL LARGE SOUP SPOON OR A METAL WHISK ..
3) ALWAYS BEAT IT CLOCKWISE UNTIL CREAMY IN TEXTURE ..
4) NEVER LEAVE IT OUT FOR MORE THAN 2 HOURS .. ( As Buckytom advised .. )

HERE IS ONE OF MY FAMILY´S RECIPES WHICH SERVES 4 to 6:
2 OR 3 Cloves of minced Garlic
1 egg yolk at room temperature
1 cup ( 8 fl. oz. or 250 ml. ) SPANISH EVOO
A Pinch of salt
A tiny splash of lemon juice or Sherry Vinegar ( subs: White wine vinegar )

1) IN A MORTAR WITH A PESTLE PREFERABLY NATURAL WOOD, Take your pestle and crush the minced garlic until creamy in texture ..
2) PUT IN A METAL BOWL.
3) ADD TO THE MEDAL BOWL: the egg yolk and use a blender if you wish or a whisk and combine well.
4) TRICKLE IN THE EVOO VERY VERY SLOWLY, stirring all the time in the same clockwise direction and combine thoroughly.
5) ADD A PINCH of salt and a dash of fresh squeezed lemon juice or vinegar and re-combine ..

*** NOTE: IF YOU PREFER TO USE A FOOD PROCESSOR, THEN GO AHEAD.

VOILA ! Absolutely delicious !!

Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
Have any on you ever made homemade mayo before?

I used to years ago! The blender or food processor can do it nicely. When I run out of the store-bought kind, I will start back making my own.

I want to see how well my new food processor does it! It should be good. Because it won't have any additives or artificial ingredients in it! :wink:

Shermie,

Yes of course, I am from Barcelona. Please see my family récipe below .. Thanks for the topic. An excellent subject .. Have a lovely weekend.

Back
Top Bottom