Have you ever sent an embarrassing text or email?

I think you are confusing the Blue Jay which from the Corvidae family (crow family) with the crested tit which is a much smaller bird of the Paridae family. There are several types of tits in the UK - coal tits, blue tits, long-tailed tits. They are very small birds.

In the US, birds of this family are generally known as chickadees. In the UK and US, however, they are sometimes referred to as titmice. This has nothing to do with any mouselike resemblance or behaviour, but derives from the Old English word for small.

@Duck59 certainly, I agree with what you write. The less formal and more colloquial language is proportionate to the degree of knowledge and even more to that of confidence. Not with all my friends (even people with long knowledge and confidence) I have the same way to address and vice versa, because then intervene the character, the nuances, the moment, the context, time. Then there is confidence and confidence. I like people who do not need to say "you are taking too much confidence" but that they know how to understand for themselves what can be said and when and what not or not at that time.
But when you are dealing with someone we know little or do not know at all, regardless of the context and the way in which you communicate, then I think it is obvious to maintain a certain distance but with a friendly attitude.
For work I often write mails or rather pragmatic messages because it lacks material time and the motivation to be more narrative. When, instead, years ago I worked in the Personnel Management of a company, communication, especially that via e-mail (including commas) was fundamental and sometimes dangerous. Commas became the essence of communication ... a stress that never ended.
But if someone I do not know writes me with a smile (which, however, by e-mail is understood), I answer him with two :happy::happy:

This is so reminiscent of what I studied when I did the final year of my degree. A lot of what we were doing was looking at literary creativity and the use of language. We looked at a lot of the theories of a linguist called Ronald Carter, who came up with the concept of clines of creativity, whereby you had the kind of formal language you might see in an instruction manual or letter to a bank manager at one end of the cline and literature, poetry, etc at the other end. In a way, you have a number of different clines because there is the kind of thing I was talking about, the degree of familiarity you would use to different people. I remember using postcards as an example; you have little room to write much, so you gear it to the person you're sending it to. So, for example, what you might write to a close friend would be different to what you'd write to someone you worked with, but weren't perhaps very close to. Also, you gauge your audience; you might spend a day (as I have) going to an art gallery in the morning and a football match in the afternoon. So if you send a card to a friend that likes art but has no interest in football, you mention what you did in the morning. For a friend who's a football fan, you tell them about that.

I could go on, but I've probably bored enough people by now.

This is so reminiscent of what I studied when I did the final year of my degree. A lot of what we were doing was looking at literary creativity and the use of language. We looked at a lot of the theories of a linguist called Ronald Carter, who came up with the concept of clines of creativity, whereby you had the kind of formal language you might see in an instruction manual or letter to a bank manager at one end of the cline and literature, poetry, etc at the other end. In a way, you have a number of different clines because there is the kind of thing I was talking about, the degree of familiarity you would use to different people. I remember using postcards as an example; you have little room to write much, so you gear it to the person you're sending it to. So, for example, what you might write to a close friend would be different to what you'd write to someone you worked with, but weren't perhaps very close to. Also, you gauge your audience; you might spend a day (as I have) going to an art gallery in the morning and a football match in the afternoon. So if you send a card to a friend that likes art but has no interest in football, you mention what you did in the morning. For a friend who's a football fan, you tell them about that.

I could go on, but I've probably bored enough people by now.

I do not find it boring at all, far from it, it is a very fascinating subject and I would like to go into the issues, developments and nuances. but it's not the right thread. I also find it as beautiful as a topic if others develop ..
We could create a new thread "communicate via mail ... a to be continued" :)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
In the US, birds of this family are generally known as chickadees. In the UK and US, however, they are sometimes referred to as titmice. This has nothing to do with any mouselike resemblance or behaviour, but derives from the Old English word for small.

@Duck59 & @morning glory

They sort of have similar features .. I had found that information on Google ! And by no means, am I a bird expert .. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Back
Top Bottom