Have you ever used vine leaves?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:24 AM
Yesterday I made Poussin in Vine Leaves with Grapes- I've made Dolmades before but never anything else with vine leaves.

Has anyone else used them?

fullsizeoutput_44bc.jpeg

Last edited:
A middle eastern shop near me sell leaves in a liquid (oil) in a tin, I was going to make Greek mince wraps, but the price was exorbitant. I didn't buy them.

Russ

Leaves in oil? They are usually preserved in brine/vinegar. Mine weren't expensive at all. A huge pack was about 2 quid and I now have masses left over. Greek stuffed vine leaves are great. I guess that is on my menu now.

Leaves in oil? They are usually preserved in brine/vinegar. Mine weren't expensive at all. A huge pack was about 2 quid and I now have masses left over. Greek stuffed vine leaves are great. I guess that is on my menu now.

It was a few months ago, prolly was vinegar or similar. About 20 in the tin, $15. Too expensive for what they are. Besides the wife said she wouldn't eat them !! I was going to make dolmades.

Russ

Besides the wife said she wouldn't eat them !! I was going to make dolmades.

Dolmades are delicious - she is missing a treat. Its also a healthy low fat and generally vegetarian snack. I made some a while back and probably need to make some more as I now have a lot of left over vine leaves.

Mine certainly weren't that expensive. There must be about 40 leaves:
Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 10.10.34.png

I made dolmades a while back because I never liked them when we got them out due to the strong vinegary taste they had to me, and they seemed like something I should like. That taste didn't really bother Craig that much but guess I'm overly sensitive to it. BUT, there is a way to get rid of that. You drain the leaves, rinse them off with cold water, then place the leaves in a large bowl, pour just under boiling water over them, let sit for 5 minutes, drain, rinse, repeat. Then, do the same twice again, but with cold water. No vinegar taste to me at all. Most recipes just have you soak and rinse once, which is what most restaurants probably do and why there is still a residual vinegar taste.

I did pick and chose ingredients from a couple of recipes and used ground lamb in mine so they aren't vegan/vegetarian, but they are really good. I got a little over 4 dozen rolls (it was a HUGE jar of leaves) so I portioned them out for meals, wrapped in plastic wrap and froze. We've got 1 bundle left, after 4 other Greek appy type meals, i.e. saganaki, Greek meatballs, tzatziki, pitas, spanakopita, etc. The leaves tend to be a bit more fragile after freezing so you have to treat them a bit gently, but other than that they froze perfectly. Just thaw and reheat in the microwave or in a steamer with plain water.

The leaves tend to be a bit more fragile after freezing so you have to treat them a bit gently, but other than that they froze perfectly. Just thaw and reheat in the microwave or in a steamer with plain water.

That's good to know - I am going to have to resort to freezing I think.

These are the ones I made a while ago - filled with rice, so vegan. I did soak the vine leaves for 20 mins to reduce the vinegar taste.

fullsizeoutput_21c6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom