Hempseed Oil

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
8:58 AM
i recently came across hempseed oil and read some things about its nutritional value. Apparently it's one of the healthiest oils out there because of its ideal ratios of omega 3 and 6. So I bought some to give it a try. It is not meant to be heated, so I figured I would stir it into warm food after I've taken it off the stove and it isn't sizzling.

Not crazy about the flavor though, I think it may be an acquired taste. Anyone else use it?

Hempseed oil sounds like an oil I have heard of before, but I cannot remember ever seeing it on the supermarket shelves here. The nutritional value sounds good too, since most oils contain only the Omega 6, and Omega 3 is known to be the better of the two healthwise. I suppose this oil may be more pricey than other oils though. I will check and see if I come across it when I do my grocery shopping next time around.

Hemp is such a versatile plant,it is grown in the past for animal feed,I can remember this first 25 years ago,but now we extract oil from it and the rest can be used for clothing or other material products even cosmetics,I'm sure their are different types that yield different plants for specific purposes ,but it's not all about Tetrahydrocannabinol! If the oil foams when cooking or does not respond well to heat ,try a different pressing if there is a choice or because of the nutrient content it's more to be used in dressings

It is not meant to be cooked as I mentioned. The bottle says to preserve nutrients, don't heat above 150F. So, that means I can add it to warm food, but not cook it. What I have tried so far is drizzling over cooked rice while it is warm.

This kind of oil tends to be used without as much heat as possible. So for salads simple low heat cooking etc. Hemp hearts are just as good if not better! Find them in your store next time and try a bag. those are more flexible since you can sprinkle a few seeds on anything. They taste nutty just like sunflower seeds. It's great and worth the price for me.

I recently bought a bottle of hemp oil, but haven't tried it yet. I plan to use it in home made mayo along with raw olive oil. I thought also it might work well for home made salad dressing. We will be harvesting lots of greens and lettuce soon from our garden.

We do eat hemp seeds. They are good for a snack by themselves. I also sprinkle them on salads and throw and hand full in soup when I think of it.

Back
Top Bottom