Hi :)

Ozana_TurboTasty

Local time
4:10 AM
Website
turbotasty.com
Hello everyone!
I'm Ozana, a mum of two boys and a wannabe food blogger.
I recently lost my job. Of course, this was a stressful situation for me, but I decided that while I was looking for another job opportunity, maybe it was time to share my passion with the world and maybe even turn this passion into something profitable.
My world is all about the thrill of foraging for wild edibles (mostly mushrooms) and turning them into delicious dishes - sometimes with more success, sometimes with less :D
I'm passionate about cooking, food, recipes, and I find joy in experimenting with different culinary delights, not only limited to wild edibles.
I think writing recipes for my blog has kept me from going crazy worrying about what the future might bring :/. I think many of you can relate to the worries I'm talking about. But it's not just losing my job that worries me, I'm also 42, the world seems super scary sometimes and I'm increasingly longing for a more peaceful life, slower and somewhere quiet. Maybe it's getting older :D

Looking forward to new friendships and an online family :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome from Ohio! Foraging sounds like a great topic to discuss.
Great! This is exactly what I was hoping for from the forum. I'm looking forward to jumping into some foraging discussions and learning as much as I can :)
Welcome to CookingBites from Maidstone, Kent in the UK. :welcome:
Thank you!

Hopefully, you can teach us all something as well. The only foraging I know is at the local markets! :wink:
Haha, yes, a couple of years ago, I was mainly sticking to supermarkets for my foraging too! :D

But you know, it's actually much simpler than many people think. There's plenty of wild food that's beginner-friendly. I'm not an expert myself, but I'm working towards becoming one someday! :D
I'd be happy to share what I've learned, so far.

Hey there! Welcome to CB from Caracas, Venezuela.
Everything and anything grows here. I've discovered all sorts of things in my garden here: Mysore raspberries, cape Gooseberries, lemongrass.
You'll have a load of fun on here!
Thank you :)
I already do have fun, such a great forum, lot of positivity here :)

Oh I love Gooseberries and Lemongrass, but never ever heard about Mysore raspberries. I'll have to do some googling now :wink:

Hi & welcome

And apologies for the lateness of the hello. I was off-grid totally at the end of last week. Hubby had the week off work and our planned get away had fallen through and he was restless and bored by Tuesday so we went camping on Wednesday morning. It's pretty easy to be totally off-grid here. In fact at home, we only have electricity and satellite broadband. Everything else is already off-grid, so going camping isn't a hardship at all.

I used to forage a lot in the UK. I'm originally from the UK, only having lived in Australia for 7 years now. And I loved foraging for mushrooms when we lived in the UK. I don't have the same confidence in Australia though. So typically don't forage for fungi here, though I do get plenty of kits and often grow my own in the house at the right time of year.

We still use a lot of wild foods though but I now deliberately grow them in my garden. There is a lot of not letting non-native plants grow wild in Australia so foraging isn't easy between that and no open access areas similar to the UK.

However, in true Australian style, in autumn it is not uncommon to see a vehicle parked in the middle of the central reservation of the highway (closest thing to a motorway/autobahn where I live) and for the occupants to be blackberry picking in the middle of the highway! It has taken a little getting used to, lol.

I just grow mine in the garden instead. I live rurally so have plenty of space.

So, :welcome:

SNSSO

Hi & welcome

And apologies for the lateness of the hello. I was off-grid totally at the end of last week. Hubby had the week off work and our planned get away had fallen through and he was restless and bored by Tuesday so we went camping on Wednesday morning. It's pretty easy to be totally off-grid here. In fact at home, we only have electricity and satellite broadband. Everything else is already off-grid, so going camping isn't a hardship at all.

I used to forage a lot in the UK. I'm originally from the UK, only having lived in Australia for 7 years now. And I loved foraging for mushrooms when we lived in the UK. I don't have the same confidence in Australia though. So typically don't forage for fungi here, though I do get plenty of kits and often grow my own in the house at the right time of year.

We still use a lot of wild foods though but I now deliberately grow them in my garden. There is a lot of not letting non-native plants grow wild in Australia so foraging isn't easy between that and no open access areas similar to the UK.

However, in true Australian style, in autumn it is not uncommon to see a vehicle parked in the middle of the central reservation of the highway (closest thing to a motorway/autobahn where I live) and for the occupants to be blackberry picking in the middle of the highway! It has taken a little getting used to, lol.

I just grow mine in the garden instead. I live rurally so have plenty of space.

So, :welcome:

SNSSO
Thank you for your message and warm welcome. I can relate to many of the things you mentioned in your post. I come from Croatia and have been living in Austria for seven years. It took me a few years to gather the courage to collect all the plants and mushrooms I used to gather in Croatia.

Oh, it sounds like you are living my dream. Off-grid with a garden of my own. A bit jealous here! :D

I apologize for the late reply; I'm currently in our camper with my family, traveling up and down the Alps! :D

Welcome from new Zealand as well. I would love to know what shrooms are edible here. Recent case of 3 people died from foraged shrooms in Australia. SatNavSaysStraightOn might know more???

Russ
Thank you :)

I've saw that in the news, a terrible story. I don't think mushroom picking is difficult or super dangerous. But there are risks involved ,people, after a while, may not be foraging responsibly and fail to double-check what they've picked. Leading to things like this :(

If you are interested, I would recommend buying a foraging guide for your area and starting with beginner-friendly mushrooms. Learn them one by one. I began by picking a mushroom, bringing it home a couple of times, and observing all its parts.

We can also create a mushroom foraging section on the forum, if it doesn't already exist, and identify the mushrooms we find for learning purposes.
I didn't have the time to go through the forum to see what's already available.

Back
Top Bottom