High salt content

Local time
2:13 PM
How often do you eat luncheon meats and sausages. I would have to admit, that although I like these 2 delicacies, I find the salt contained in them to be very high. This is one of the reasons why I use them only in moderation. Both of these products go very well with eggs, so if I am frying or scrambling eggs and I want to use either sausages or luncheon meat with the eggs, I would opt not to add any salt to the eggs. I would not miss the salt in the eggs.

Do you eat luncheon meat and sausages on a regular basis?

I have had kidney stones twice and now is the 3rd time. So it is a given that I should be avoiding salt in my food. However, it is not good to punish myself by eating food that has no taste so what we do is to choose our dishes and put salt moderately. With canned food, it is all right to eat sausage or spam or luncheon meat but on a moderate basis and not too often. Our neutralizer is water. Drinking lots of water will flush out the salt that entered my body thru those salty foods.

Caribbean girl, I eat luncheon meat on the odd occasion but never paid any attention to the salt content. I should stay away from salt with high blood pressure and all but I must confess I do have to struggle to stay away. As it relates to sausages, I am not a fan.

I should have mentioned corned beef and bacon here too, since these are also very highly salted, especially the corned beef. However, in relation to the bacon, I read only recently that this has some good health benefits where it relates to the brain. It appears that it is good for preventing dementia and Alzheimer's disease. That was news to me. However, although I like bacon, I resist buying it because it is always highly priced.

I do drink a reasonable amount of water everyday though, so that should help in neutralizing any excess salt in my diet.

We also need salt to maintain and balance the amount of fluids in our bodies. But too much salt is not good for our bodies that is why we should use them in the right quantity or in moderation only. You are right that sausages, luncheon meats, bacons, salami, corned beef and other processed meat foods all taste good and delicious but they are loaded with high salt content. that is why we must must avoid eating this kind of foods regularly especially if you had already been diagnosed with an ailment. Like what they said drinking the right amount of water or fluid intake is the best remedy to remove those excess salt or other impurities in our kidneys.

I do not eat them on a regular basis but I do enjoy them now and then. We tend to eat more sausages during the camping season. They are great on the bbq but we don't eat them much any other time. Luncheon meat I have every now and then on a sandwich. I do eat processed food but I really have to watch my salt intake since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few months back.

How often do you eat luncheon meats and sausages. I would have to admit, that although I like these 2 delicacies, I find the salt contained in them to be very high. This is one of the reasons why I use them only in moderation. Both of these products go very well with eggs, so if I am frying or scrambling eggs and I want to use either sausages or luncheon meat with the eggs, I would opt not to add any salt to the eggs. I would not miss the salt in the eggs.

Do you eat luncheon meat and sausages on a regular basis?
I eat them pretty often, and more than I should. I think moderation is the key to everything. So, if you do find yourself craving these products just have a slice or two a week. They are deintitely not good to eat on a regular basis, but if you eat a small amount of them it is not going to kill you. Just take it easy with these products.

I love sausages, but only eat them once in a while.:hungry: If you like luncheon meat with your eggs, why don't you try turkey bacon with your eggs instead? It's way healthier and similar to luncheon meat, but more than half the calories & salt content.:okay:

Salt is necessary for maintaining health and nutrition but high salt content should be avoided. If there is too much salt, the sodium intake in the body will be high and this will also increase the blood pressure of the body and might result in body swelling.

Salt is necessary for maintaining health and nutrition but high salt content should be avoided. If there is too much salt, the sodium intake in the body will be high and this will also increase the blood pressure of the body and might result in body swelling.
There is very conflicting evidence about whether salt really does cause high blood pressure. I eat shed loads of salt and don't have high blood pressure (despite advancing age) :(
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

I once knew a guy that had a stroke. He was put on a salt restricted diet when he came home. I had not realized how much salt his wife had been using in cooking.
After he came home, 8 adults and three kids went through 2 salt shakers a meal. The salt shakers each held several ounces. I lost 5 lbs of water weight.
Amusing thing was the salt free guy told me after lunch I didn't have to not eat salt. I wasn't raised on it so that wasn't the reason. I got moved to beside him at the next meal so neither of us had to touch the salt shakers.

Back
Top Bottom