Holiday meals 2019

WhatsCookingMama

Local time
2:14 AM
I want to start planning my Thanksgiving and Christmas menus. I'm looking for some inspiration. We prefer traditional and nontraditional holiday meals. What's your favorite holiday dish?

Well, we never really did holidays as a kid, so a lot of what I think of as holiday foods are inherited from books, TV, and my wife's family.

Since it's just the two of us, I always prefer to keep things simple. The wife wants turkey on Thanksgiving, of course, and I always oblige, although I'm not particularly fond of turkey.

Give me 14 pounds of bread dressing/stuffing in its place, with lots of gravy, and I'm fine, so I'll make a lot of that for me.

Mashed potatoes, one other "sensible" vegetable, some cranberry relish, and that's the main meal. I also always make pumpkin pie for the wife (another "meh" dish for me) and one other dessert that I like more.

Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, we almost always have fondue both nights.

I'm a stickler for a big breakfast Christmas morning, and we used to go out for that (that was the one tradition I started), but somehow, that turned into me making a big breakfast, and I don't know how that changed, but it did.

Christmas Day is also prime rib roast, oven-roasted potatoes, some other veg, and a couple of desserts.

We also have some kind of holiday punch on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

New Year's Day is usually pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, noodles, and whatever sounds good for dessert.

I made a Turducken last year for Thanksgiving. We raised ducks. I don't want to make one again.
I'm hoping my husband will be home for Thanksgiving. He will be for Christmas for sure.

Well, we never really did holidays as a kid, so a lot of what I think of as holiday foods are inherited from books, TV, and my wife's family.

Since it's just the two of us, I always prefer to keep things simple. The wife wants turkey on Thanksgiving, of course, and I always oblige, although I'm not particularly fond of turkey.

Give me 14 pounds of bread dressing/stuffing in its place, with lots of gravy, and I'm fine, so I'll make a lot of that for me.

Mashed potatoes, one other "sensible" vegetable, some cranberry relish, and that's the main meal. I also always make pumpkin pie for the wife (another "meh" dish for me) and one other dessert that I like more.

Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, we almost always have fondue both nights.

I'm a stickler for a big breakfast Christmas morning, and we used to go out for that (that was the one tradition I started), but somehow, that turned into me making a big breakfast, and I don't know how that changed, but it did.

Christmas Day is also prime rib roast, oven-roasted potatoes, some other veg, and a couple of desserts.

We also have some kind of holiday punch on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

New Year's Day is usually pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, noodles, and whatever sounds good for dessert.
I love a huge Christmas breakfast.
My husband and I never had huge family celebrations growing up. My husband is often away for extended periods of time. We try hard to always have a huge holiday meal and celebration.

Turkey for Thanksgiving. Undecided on sides at the moment. I do like potatoes daphenoise (sp?); or perhaps an upside-down potato and onion tart. Some years, I've gone out for a buffet-style traditional meal, and made a small turkey breast or hens in the days following.

Also, made panettone French toast for holiday breakfast/brunch. Maybe aebelskivers this year. (Pancake challenge idea. Hint, hint.)

Back
Top Bottom