Recipe Home-made Halloumi

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:27 PM
Halloumi is very straightforward to make at home. Traditionally it is made with sheep’s milk but I used full fat cow’s milk instead. Here I used it grilled in a salad with crispy bacon, fried egg with tarragon and a harissa/yoghurt dressing.

Based on a recipe for Halloumi in Lakeland's 'How to make Soft Cheese' by Gerard Barker.

fullsizeoutput_3295.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31b3.jpeg

Ingredients
1 litre of milk
30 ml white wine vinegar
Salt to taste

Method
Heat the milk in a stainless steel saucepan and heat to 95 C.
Add the vinegar and turn off the heat. Curd will form over the next few minutes.
Skim off the curd and place in a large square of muslin or a J-cloth in a colander.
Add salt to taste.
Gather up the corners of the muslin and twist into a ball, squeezing gently to remove liquid.
Leave the ball to drain and dry out slightly for a few hours at room temperature. I used a jam strainer to suspend the ball but you can simply set the ball in the colander.
Remove from muslin, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge.

The salad with dressing:
fullsizeoutput_329e.jpeg

Last edited:
That is exactly what I do for my chooks when I make them homemade cheese, minus that salt content (it's highly poisonous to chooks). So I'm now curious as to what exactly the difference is, except the sheep's milk (which you can usually purchase from health food shops in their freezer section btw). Homemade cottage cheese just isn't drained anywhere near as much, but it's easier to cut up if I drain it well.

Is it simply the different milk that makes halloumi halloumi?

Is it simply the different milk that makes halloumi halloumi?
I know what you mean - all the fresh home-made cheeses, with the exception of mozzarella, seem to follow a similar routine. The only difference here is that the cheese is drained much more so it dries out and firms up for slicing. But I don't see this as any different from paneer really.

Back
Top Bottom