Home made pasta

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:10 AM
I love pasta. Commercial pasta has too many additives. I would like to try making pasta. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer. I can get a pasta attachment. I need a good recipe with specific flour brands that have no preservatives or other additives.
In addition to a good pasta recipe, I would like to know how to dry homemade pasta.
Thank you all.

I've had good results with La Molisana flour and they have a simple recipe here. It's 500g flour, 250g water and salt.

I don't know anything about drying pastas.

I wonder if EB will have to take any special steps in drying pasta in SE Louisiana where you can often just about drink the air? :scratchhead:

CD

I love pasta. Commercial pasta has too many additives. I would like to try making pasta. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer. I can get a pasta attachment. I need a good recipe with specific flour brands that have no preservatives or other additives.
In addition to a good pasta recipe, I would like to know how to dry homemade pasta.
Thank you all.
I found that the pasta flour "00" grade that I bought had a recipe on the packet. I just followed that. My pasta was machine mixed but hand rolled initially. I do now have a pasta machine but the recipe for that is much drier.

I use "Il Molino Durum Wheat Fine Semolina Pasta Flour". It's an Italian pasta flour. Pasta flour is typically lower gluten than pizza flour.

I have also experimented with lentil flour and chickpea flour pasta as well with varying degrees of success.

If you're in a humid location, drying pasta may be a dehydrator or very cool oven. Otherwise I believe you can just hang it off trees :whistling: *

* BBC ON THIS DAY | 1 | 1957: BBC fools the nation
Or Spaghetti-tree hoax - Wikipedia.

I got an after market roller and cutters for linguini, spaghetti and fettucini off Amazon for WAY less than the KA pasta set. Unfortunately, they don't sell the brand i got anymore but it works great. I picked the set i got by reading reviews. Oh, it is a good quality stainless steel.

We have a very old hand crank pasta macine. It is no longer used. I LOVE being able to use the KA.

I will say, the ravioli maker on the hand crank machine does not work great because the ravioli don't seal well. Since the ravioli makers for the KA work the same way, I would be leery of using one. When i make ravioli, i roll the pasta dough out and use a scoop and cookie cutters.

Commercial pasta has too many additives. I would like to try making pasta.

I think its great that you want to try making pasta but I'm curious as to why you say commercial pasta has too many additives. Here in the UK, most pasta brands contains simply flour, sometimes semolina and water.

I think its great that you want to try making pasta but I'm curious as to why you say commercial pasta has too many additives. Here in the UK, most pasta brands contains simply flour, sometimes semolina and water.
Here’s the ingredients list from one of our national brands of spaghetti:

IMG_5742.jpeg

Here’s the ingredients list from one of our national brands of spaghetti:

View attachment 104743

They are added vitamins and minerals it seems, so probably not harmful. But I'm puzzled, because adding those things would increase the cost of production - so why? I can't find any pasta here with those things added. I think you can get Garofalo brand in the US? That has no additives.

.... answering my own question:

Additives in dried, commercially sold pasta include vitamins and minerals that are lost from the durum wheat endosperm during milling. They are added back to the semolina flour once it is ground, creating enriched flour. Micronutrients added may include niacin (vitamin B3), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folate, thiamine (vitamin B1), and ferrous iron.[32]
Pasta - Wikipedia

If this is the case then I suppose its a good thing. Home-made pasta wouldn't contain these nutrients. I don't know if this only applies to semolina flour though.

.... answering my own question:

Pasta - Wikipedia

If this is the case then I suppose its a good thing. Home-made pasta wouldn't contain these nutrients. I don't know if this only applies to semolina flour though.
It applies to a lot of things.
It's also the reason that all cereal in the UK is fortified. So the same brand and same cereal from country to country will vary in their content even though the consumer thinks they are buying the same thing.

The WHY is not really important. I want to learn to make homemade pasta. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and can get a pasta attachment.
I wouls also like to learn how to dry pasta. I know that fresh pasta needs to be used quickly. We do not eat pasta frequently enough to justify making a large batch.
Thanks all.

I
The WHY is not really important. I want to learn to make homemade pasta. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and can get a pasta attachment.
I wouls also like to learn how to dry pasta. I know that fresh pasta needs to be used quickly. We do not eat pasta frequently enough to justify making a large batch.
Thanks all.

I've watched on tv where the chefs dry it o coat hangers etc..suspended in the air.
I'll ask my daughter how she does hers. ( with my pasta maker)

Russ

Thanks all.
Do you guys like spinach? We have a recipe on here for spinach garlic pasta with an onion sauce.

Recipe - Spinach garlic pasta with Marsala, sweet onion, garlic sauce

I make the whole recipe but lately we've only been eating about half, so I'll make all the pasta dough, divide it in half, form it into a disk, wrap well and freeze. I've done that with several other pasta doughs. If you try to shape it, it gets very brittle and ends up breaking in the freezer.

I usually make the dough in the food processor, then hand knead it a few times to shape. Now that we have the pasta roller and cutters, I really should make it more often because it takes very little time, but box pasta sings a siren's song of convenience unless I want something special.

And, honestly, if you are going to make fresh, why dry it? That defeats the purpose of making fresh pasta.

Back
Top Bottom