1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 TB Dijon mustard
2 TB rice vinegar***
1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Prepare ham: Add water, star anise, and cloves to the bottom of a roasting pan. Place a roasting rack into the pan; place ham on the rack. Cut 1/4-inch-deep slashes, 1/2-inch apart, lengthwise and crosswise across the top of ham.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

While ham is baking, make glaze: Whisk together brown sugar, honey, mustard, vinegar, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl until thick and smooth.

Brush glaze all over ham. Continue baking ham, brushing with glaze every 20 minutes, until glaze is deep golden and ham is heated through, about 2 hours 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of ham should read at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).

Run a kitchen torch over ham until glaze is crispy and caramelized, 2 to 5 minutes.

* Depending on your roasting pan, you may need more water. You’ll need about an inch or so of water in the pan.

** “Country-style ham” can mean a lot of different things. I used a fully cooked bone-in half ham, not pre-sliced. I usually avoid hams that are labeled “ham and water product” or “water added,” and go with ones that say “with natural juices.”

*** If you don’t have rice vinegar (I didn’t), most any vinegar will do. I used cider vinegar.

Recipe from Allrecipes.com (Chef John)

EAA608F1-C26D-43D5-92D7-668D4F4970C8.jpeg
BA0D68E2-E606-4F91-BDA9-7F08F80424EB.jpeg

The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

Reuben - Did you actually utilize a kitchen torch on this? If so I’m curious which one you used.

Ham at 63C/145F is good, but I don't think it's bad to it at around 58C or even lower. It's not criticism, I've just gone through that situation before.

My chef told me to look up how to make pork back, in the internet they also suggested 63C and the next day he wouldn't let me go higher than 59C, it was just a test.
They suggest 63C because they're on a working place and these are the hygiene standard rules. If we're get caught, they could sue us.

Looks gorgeous! Do we get to see a slice or two?

I don't think I knew you had a kitchen torch. Have you been using it for any other dishes?

Looks gorgeous! Do we get to see a slice or two?

I don't think I knew you had a kitchen torch. Have you been using it for any other dishes?
I have two big hunks of ham frozen, and I still have a little of the portion from Easter, so I’ll see if I can get a pic of the inside.

I haven’t used the torch much, maybe three times. I’m not sold on it yet, as it seems hard to get a golden brown finish and wants to go right to cinder black, which usually isn’t what I’m after.

I have two big hunks of ham frozen, and I still have a little of the portion from Easter, so I’ll see if I can get a pic of the inside.

I haven’t used the torch much, maybe three times. I’m not sold on it yet, as it seems hard to get a golden brown finish and wants to go right to cinder black, which usually isn’t what I’m after.

I use a torch for brulees.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom