Recipe Hot chocolate to die for

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:37 AM
This is NOT healthy like pinkcherrychef's chocolate milk. It is, however one of the best hot chocolates you'll ever drink. This recipe makes a drink very similar to Italian cioccolata, basically molten lava chocolate. It's a recipe from a guest chef on 1 of Paula Deen's shows.

I was first introduced to Italian cioccolata in Florence when DD and I stopped in a cafe with friends for coffee because we were all freezing She was by far the youngest, though in 20s, but had never developed a taste for coffee, so she ordered the hot chocolate. Our coffee came, we are waiting, waiting for her HC, get another round of coffee, finally her HC comes. She takes a drink of it and just moans. We ask her what's wrong. She says nothing's wrong, this is the best HC I've ever had, totally worth the wait. Of course we all wanted a taste after that and all she'd let us do was barely dip the tips of our spoons in. After we got our tastes, we told her she was a selfish little witch (joking around and a b or 2 might have been used instead of all w's) and she just came back with get your own, which we did at the next cafe stop.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 1/2 cups milk, divided, plus 1 cup boiled for hot chocolate milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 oz (2 bars) chopped semisweet chocolate
Directions

Sprinkle the cornstarch over 1/2 cup of the milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve. Add the sugar and egg yolks and whisk well.

In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over low heat, bring the remaining 2 cups of the milk and the vanilla bean just to a simmer. Remove the bean, scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, and discard the bean. Gradually whisk the egg yolk mixture into the milk.

Cook, whisking often, until the sauce comes to a full boil, about 3 minutes. If using vanilla extract, stir it in now. Strain through a wire sieve into a bowl. Serve warm.

Add to the vanilla cream the chopped chocolate chunks and a boiled cup of milk. Mix until smooth. Any flavor can be added- raspberry, cinnamon, holiday ginger spice, marshmallows. The semi-sweet chocolate can be substituted with milk or white chocolate

Last edited:
This is NOT healthy like pinkcherrychef's chocolate milk. It is, however one of the best hot chocolates you'll ever drink. This recipe makes a drink very similar to Italian cioccolata, basically molten lava chocolate. It's a recipe from a guest chef on 1 of Paula Deen's shows.

I was first introduced to Italian cioccolata in Florence when DD and I stopped in a cafe with friends for coffee because we were all freezing She was by far the youngest, though in 20s, but had never developed a taste for coffee, so she ordered the hot chocolate. Our coffee came, we are waiting, waiting for her HC, get another round of coffee, finally her HC comes. She takes a drink of it and just moans. We ask her what's wrong. She says nothing's wrong, this is the best HC I've ever had, totally worth the wait. Of course we all wanted a taste after that and all she'd let us do was barely dip the tips of our spoons in. After we got our tastes, we told her she was a selfish little witch (joking around and a b or 2 might have been used instead of all w's) and she just came back with get your own, which we did at the next cafe stop.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 1/2 cups milk, divided, plus 1 cup boiled for hot chocolate milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 oz (2 bars) chopped semisweet chocolate
Directions

Sprinkle the cornstarch over 1/2 cup of the milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve. Add the sugar and egg yolks and whisk well.

In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over low heat, bring the remaining 2 cups of the milk and the vanilla bean just to a simmer. Remove the bean, scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, and discard the bean. Gradually whisk the egg yolk mixture into the milk.

Cook, whisking often, until the sauce comes to a full boil, about 3 minutes. If using vanilla extract, stir it in now. Strain through a wire sieve into a bowl. Serve warm.

Add to the vanilla cream the chopped chocolate chunks and a boiled cup of milk. Mix until smooth. Any flavor can be added- raspberry, cinnamon, holiday ginger spice, marshmallows. The semi-sweet chocolate can be substituted with milk or white chocolate

I should try this soon before winter is over!! :wink:

@medtran49
I am swooning. Long before instant chocolate mixes Mother made hot chocolate with cocoa powder. When the temps first started to cool off I got a container of cocoa powder and have been making hot chocolate with that. Your recipe has me salivating.

Ooooo sounds abousolutely to die for indeed. This recipe is so tempting lol. I might make it on one of my splurge days then go for a long walk afterwards. I bet it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe.

Back
Top Bottom