Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:47 PM
It took a year of encouragement from friends plus the virtual demise of my 18 year old cheap gas oven to finally get around to buying one of the halogen convection ovens.

It cost me Bht 1,250.00 (approx. £30.00) about 6 months ago and it was probably the best money I’ve ever spent for a kitchen “utensil”.

The majority of the build is toughened glass and it is “housed” in a strong plastic stand. The control unit is also plastic and a little on the flimsy side as are the two controls themselves (timer and temperature).

The unit includes two racks, a high and a low, plus a gadget for removing the racks when they are very hot (the gadget needs a little skill).

The lead has a European plug (banned here in Thailand) but it is detachable therefore can be substituted with a legitimate cable from another appliance/computer.

The halogen lamp is turned on and off by a simple thermostat and generates waves of infrared light to heat the air within the heating chamber. A fan then circulates this heated air throughout the chamber to evenly cook the contents of the bowl through convective heat transfer.

Whereas it is big enough to cook a roast dinner for two people, it is not ideal for cooking for a family. I have not yet attempted to cook a full roast dinner.

It is said to use more electricity than a conventional oven but as it cooks food in about one third of the time and needs no preheating it should be much cheaper overall.

The major disadvantage of the unit is the amount of space that it requires. The oven itself is about 400 mm long and the lid, when removed, needs another 350 mm of space (and it will be very hot). Then another 300 mm of space to locate the rack with the cooked food (which is also hot).

Overall, it appears that it will cook anything that a conventional oven will cook but quicker and therefore more economically.

If you have the space and the will to experiment I would recommend it.

halogen-cooker-os-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Cauliflower cheese....

cauliflower cheese 1 s.jpg

Hassleback potatoes and chicken breast.....

halogen hasslebacks vs.jpg

Marinated pork ribs...

JO black pork ribs halogen s.jpg

Re-heating potato and chicken pakoras....

halogen pakoras s.jpg

Pork ribs and roast potatoes both cooked in the halogen oven (separately).

ribs and roast spuds vs.jpg

Last edited:
Re-heating a steak and kidley pie.

S&K pie in halogen s.jpg

Last edited:
Cooking sausages.

sausages halogen s.jpg

Last edited:
Roast potatoes (5 min parboiled).

roast potatoes halogen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom