How Do You Cook Rice?

Elawin

Guru
Local time
12:10 PM
There seem to be so many ways of preparing plain rice, from boiling it, to steaming it, to placing it in a rice cooker, or putting it in the oven. How do you cook yours?

I always used to boil rice but often found that it would end up either not completely cooked or an absolute gluey mush no matter which rice I used, even though I followed the instructions on the pack religiously.

Nowadays I usually use cheap supermarket basmati rice. I rinse it well and soak it for 20-30 minutes and then steam it. I use 150 ml cold water to 100 g rice, bring it to the boil, let it cook for 2 minutes, then cover it and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. I take it off the heat completely, leave it for a couple of minutes before giving it a good fork through, and it's just how I like it. Perfect :D

This is what I do. It works flawlessly every time. Literally. Every. Time.

Ingredients

1 cup white rice
2 cups water

Directions
  1. Heat water on high until it comes to a boil.
  2. Add rice and stir thoroughly. Bring back to a boil, then lower heat: set between 1 and 2 on an electric stove*.
  3. Cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stir briefly to break up any clumps, then cover again. Cook 10 more minutes, then remove from heat and serve immediately. NOTE: the water should have been absorbed into the rice by this time.
It's a similar story when making most types of rice and grains. Exceptions:
  • Farro: rinse until clear, bring to a boil, add farro, then simmer covered for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
  • Quinoa: the same measure and cook time as rice. Yes, it's true.
  • Couscous: 1-1/2 cups of water per cup, bring to a boil, add couscous, then simmer covered for 15 minutes. Check every minute until desired consistency is reached.
  • Bulgur Wheat: 1-1/2 cups of water per cup; bring to a boil, add wheat, remove from hear. then let sit covered for 20 minutes.
* Yes...I have an electric stove. No need to pity me, though I am terribly jealous of people with gas stoves (which my parents had when I was a kid).

Last edited:
The main 2 rice dishes that we prepare here are Paellas or Risottos ..

1) In a large paellera ( metal pan used for paellas or an earthenware ( barro made of red clay called Terracotta ) which is deeper and larger ..
2) Paella: the Sofrito or base of the dish .. sautéed in Spanish Extra virgin olive oil, minced, bell peps, shallot or onion /calçots = indigenious spring onion of Cataluna, 1 or 2 cloves, garlic, tomatoes de-skinned & peeled .. + Stock, normally Prawn stock or the head of a fish ..
Never water ..
3) Paella Arborio with 10 To 12 threads of saffron (soaked in boiled hot wáter for 10 minutes) and placed in a tiny wine glass, and put into the pallera ..
4) the shellfish is placed into the paella, at the end with salt, oregano,thyme, rosemary, freshly grinded black pepper, this is so the shellfish is not overcooked ..

Risotto:
1) I prepare mine in same, a paellera and the main differences are the Carnaroli Italian Rice and the use of French Butter instead of Evoo ..

Nowadays I usually use cheap supermarket basmati rice.

:o_o::o_o:

Basmati rice here is about 4 times the price of Jasmine rice (if you can get it!)

Anyway, to cook Jasmine rice I rinse it a few times and then soak it for 30 minutes in cold water. Then drain and put it in the rice cooker (with or without additives) just cover with cold water and turn on the power. The cooker bleeps when the rice is done and keeps it warm for hours unless you pull the plug.

A few years ago I remember moving a couple from one dwelling to another across town (because I have a pick-up). Their belongings amounted to a thin mattress with duvet, a small television, a fabric "wardrobe", a standing fan, a very large teddy bear and a rice cooker!

This is what I do. It works flawlessly every time. Literally. Every. Time.

Ingredients

1 cup white rice
2 cups water

Directions
  1. Heat water on high until it comes to a boil.
  2. Add rice and stir thoroughly. Bring back to a boil, then lower heat: set between 1 and 2 on an electric stove*.
  3. Cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stir briefly to break up any clumps, then cover again. Cook 10 more minutes, then remove from heat and serve immediately. NOTE: the water should have been absorbed into the rice by this time.
It's a similar story when making most types of rice and grains. Exceptions:
  • Farro: rinse until clear, bring to a boil, add farro, then simmer covered for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
  • Quinoa: the same measure and cook time as rice. Yes, it's true.
  • Couscous: 1-1/2 cups of water per cup, bring to a boil, add couscous, then simmer covered for 15 minutes. Check every minute until desired consistency is reached.
  • Bulgur Wheat: 1-1/2 cups of water per cup; bring to a boil, add wheat, remove from hear. then let sit covered for 20 minutes.
* Yes...I have an electric stove. No need to pity me, though I am terribly jealous of people with gas stoves (which my parents had when I was a kid).
I have an electric hob too. With my hob, I turn the heat down to the lowest setting as soon as it starts to boil. The rice then only boils for 2 minutes and starts to simmer. I simmer it for 8 minutes, then turn the heat off completely, using the residual heat for the last 2 minutes. Obviously some rice needs slightly different times, which was why I said I bought basmati. If I cooked it for 20 minutes, it would be like porridge!

Back
Top Bottom