How do you keep track of 'use by dates' for store cupboard ingredients?

I never take any notice of best before dates either. I usually only keep a couple of tins of each item in the cupboard (or four in the case of tinned tomatoes) and replace as and when they are used. I buy some packet foods in bulk, so in those cases the best before date is often long gone. So long as they are kept dry and in a steady temperature they are usually OK.

I recently finished a jar of home-made pickle that was four years old and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it - in fact a much, much younger jar of Branston (which had only been opened a couple of weeks and was still well in date) was thrown out because it had developed a bloom. I should really have taken it back but the cost of petrol to take it back was far more than the cost of the product. Commercially made jams don't seem to last long either.

Spices and herbs are usually fine if they have not been opened. They do lose a bit of flavour once opened, however, so in those cases I just bung a bit more in :giggle: The large pack of chilli powder I bought some time back is still hot!
Well, pickles lasting longer doesn't surprise me (clue in the word pickle and how it is made too!)

However, would you be so unconcerned say, if it were a tin of crabmeat that was 4 years old?

Commercially made jams tend to have less sugar now (which I welcome) and often say to refrigerate it once opened.

Well, pickles lasting longer doesn't surprise me (clue in the word pickle and how it is made too!)

However, would you be so unconcerned say, if it were a tin of crabmeat that was 4 years old?

Commercially made jams tend to have less sugar now (which I welcome) and often say to refrigerate it once opened.
Why is it then that home-made pickles last a lot longer than commercially made ones? Commercially made jams don't seem to keep for very long in the fridge either.

I wouldn't have a tin of crabmeat in the house, but I have had tins of meat that have been well out of best before date and they have been OK. So long as the tin has not got rust on it or is swollen, the food should be fine. Modern tins with their plastic coating could be a different matter though.

Why is it then that home-made pickles last a lot longer than commercially made ones? Commercially made jams don't seem to keep for very long in the fridge either.

I wouldn't have a tin of crabmeat in the house, but I have had tins of meat that have been well out of best before date and they have been OK. So long as the tin has not got rust on it or is swollen, the food should be fine. Modern tins with their plastic coating could be a different matter though.
Well maybe commercially made pickles ALSO have less sugar these days. Yes, jams that need refrigerating often say use within so many weeks. I tend to add lemon juice to them (prefer a tang) so that may extend their life too.

Dents on a tin are also to be avoided - especially if on the seam. Maybe this is obvious though.

Back
Top Bottom