How do you make a Cajun style roux?

caseydog

Local time
9:09 PM
Airfryer turkey breast

It was too dry on its own so I made a cajun gravy (and once again I screwed up the roux). Also made rice stir fried with green onions, ginger and carrot

What's happening on your roux? I've got all shades of roux pretty much mastered, perhaps I can help.

My general advice to people new to roux making, is to use a lower heat than what an experience roux maker would use. It will take longer, but it won't get away from you. As you get more confident, you can dial up the heat a little.

CD

What's happening on your roux? I've got all shades of roux pretty much mastered, perhaps I can help.

My general advice to people new to roux making, is to use a lower heat than what an experience roux maker would use. It will take longer, but it won't get away from you. As you get more confident, you can dial up the heat a little.

CD
Soon as I add the butter and the flour in the pan it just turns into blobs of dough, and doesn't go back to being liquid, and there's a film of butter/flour on the bottom of the pan. I added more butter to see if it would go back to liquid, but it wouldn't. It was supposed to cook until a dark amber color, but I was stressed out that I had blobs of dough instead of a liquid and added the chicken stock way too soon.

The gravy thickened immediately as soon as I added the chicken stock, but it tasted really weird, and I'm pretty sure the ratio of flour to butter was off.

Soon as I add the butter and the flour in the pan it just turns into blobs of dough, and doesn't go back to being liquid, and there's a film of butter/flour on the bottom of the pan. I added more butter to see if it would go back to liquid, but it wouldn't. It was supposed to cook until a dark amber color, but I was stressed out that I had blobs of dough instead of a liquid and added the chicken stock way too soon.

The gravy thickened immediately as soon as I added the chicken stock, but it tasted really weird, and I'm pretty sure the ratio of flour to butter was off.

I'm a bit confused by this. The way to make a roux is to melt butter or heat oil in a pan and gradually add flour to form a roux (paste). See here in this recipe: Recipe - Seafood Gumbo

The tricky part when making a Cajun type roux is then continuing to cook it slowly until it goes brown. It takes a lot of stirring and a gentle heat. Its only when it is browned that liquid is added.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this. The way to make a roux is to melt butter or heat oil in a pan and gradually add flour to form a roux (paste). See here in this recipe: Recipe - Seafood Gumbo

The tricky part when making a Cajun type roux is then continuing to cook it slowly until it goes brown. It takes a lot of stirring and a gentle heat. Its only when it is browned that liquid is added.
I think it's not supposed to be a paste. In the recipes I've seen, the roux stays liquid like this: How to Make a Roux and Use It Right

I'd say your ratio is off...add less flour or add it slower and stop if you thing the roux is getting too thick. I've added a bit more butter to make it more runny, also..soon you will figure out the quantities...

I think it's not supposed to be a paste. In the recipes I've seen, the roux stays liquid like this: How to Make a Roux and Use It Right
When I make a roux for gravy it always becomes paste-like then I slowly add the liquid. I only cook my roux for about 1-2 minutes because I want a blonde roux. The darker it is the less thickening you get. I want a nice thick gravy. I can always add more liquid to thin it.

Having done a dark roux for a gumbo the traditional way a couple of times (i.e. in a pan, standing sweatily over the stove stirring it on high heat for up to an hour whilst periodically checking its colour against a picture of a bar of chocolate) I discovered that it can be done in the oven very easily. While it may take a little longer, It's a hell of a lot easier and you don't stink the whole house (and yourself) of oil after.

You can also batch cook and freeze it.

Having done a dark roux for a gumbo the traditional way a couple of times (i.e. in a pan, standing sweatily over the stove stirring it on high heat for up to an hour whilst periodically checking its colour against a picture of a bar of chocolate) I discovered that it can be done in the oven very easily. While it may take a little longer, It's a hell of a lot easier and you don't stink the whole house (and yourself) of oil after.

How do you do it in oven? I never make a dark roux. I usually make a light roux for gravy.

I've heard of cooking the roux in the oven, but I can't remember where. I'd still like to learn how to cook a roux the old fashioned way, I enjoy suffering just for the sake of it.

I've heard of cooking the roux in the oven, but I can't remember where. I'd still like to learn how to cook a roux the old fashioned way, I enjoy suffering just for the sake of it.

I also want to know the 'right' or 'traditional' way to do something the first couple of times I make something. After that, I want to explore modern (read: 'quicker but just as good') alternatives. :)

For an oven roux - just Google 'oven gumbo roux' - I think I used the Serious Eats method.

[EDIT] for your gravy, I wouldn't do that in an oven - that's a 5 minute job in saucepan. :)

I'd say your ratio is off...add less flour or add it slower and stop if you thing the roux is getting too thick. I've added a bit more butter to make it more runny, also..soon you will figure out the quantities...
My guess is that the ratio is off too. Next time I'll try weighing the butter and flour instead of using spoons to measure it.

It's all about the right heat.
You can test yourself, what level is feeling good for you. Melt the butter on low heat, stir in the flour and increase the heat, until you're feeling stressed. You can also try the roux between the steps until it's done, to know how it actually tastes like

EDIT: a few lumps of flour is normal, only add butter if it's not possible to mix it as it is.

As others have written, your fat/flour ratio is off. At most, they should be equal amounts, with the fat part always being equal to or higher in the ratio, and the fat should be in liquid form before the flour is added. Then you have to stir, stir, stir as soon as you add the flour until a smooth mixture forms. Then, you keep stirring (or whisking) until the roux gets to the color you want. Add the warm to hot liquid in small amounts stirring constantly until the roux is thinned out, then you can add in the rest of the liquid. Doing it that way keeps lumps from forming.

BTW, the vast majority of Cajun roux (as opposed to French roux) are made with oil, not butter. Butter is far more likely to burn as you get into the darker roux than oil, which will give you a funky, burnt taste.

If you want a butter taste, either use margarine or a combo of butter and oil so the burning point of butter will be higher. For a gravy, I would not take a roux containing butter darker than a light medium brown.

Oh, are you using homemade or purchased stock? Some commercial stocks have off tastes because of the preservatives and other chemicals used in them, so make sure the stock you are using, if purchased, tastes okay to you.

Also, be aware that the darker the roux, the less thickening ability it will have.

Last edited:
Maybe you misunderstand what i mean by paste. Basically a roux is flour and fat cooked together with no liquid added.

Did you use a recipe? If so it would be useful to see the part which is about the roux.

Maybe you misunderstand what i mean by paste. Basically a roux is flour and fat cooked together with no liquid added.

Did you use a recipe? If so it would be useful to see the part which is about the roux.
To me a paste is more solid than liquid. My "roux" was definitely solid and separated into blobs that looked like dough, but in the pics I've seen the roux always looks somewhat liquid.

This has happened to me all the three times I had to cook a roux, and using different recipes, but the specific cajun gravy recipe I used this time is this one: https://themccallumsshamrockpatch.c...-PnugFqBDwcXzhLQGwF4gfAcmPHPg#google_vignette

I have another recipe from Paul Prudhomme's book I want to try, but I definitely need to perfect my roux first.

Back
Top Bottom