How do you make a Cajun style roux?

LissaC

I looked at the recipe. First, adding the garlic in at the same time as the other vegetables is more than likely going to result in burnt garlic, which gives a funky taste to the finished dish. Add the garlic in with the other vegetables in the last couple minutes of cooking them.

The ratio used for the roux is going to give you a very pasty, thick roux, not a liquid one.

While the bacon grease will help with the burning point of butter, I don't believe it will be enough. I'd either use margarine or replace a couple tablespoons of butter with oil.

I think Chef Paul's recipes would be a better reference for you than some unknown blogger with unknown cooking experience. You don't have to use his high heat method to make the roux, use the same ratios but cook at lower temperatures for longer times until you are comfortable.

Other reputable sources would be Serious Eats as mentioned above, Alton Brown of Food Network, TheKitchn.com, ATK/Cook's Country, just not some unknown blogger.

I haven't read every post here, yet. But, here's a few things from Lissa's post while they are fresh in my mind.

I use oil instead of butter for roux. The key is half flour, and half fat. The fat can be whatever you want. I find a vegetable oil or nut oil to be a lot easier to use than butter. That's especially true for a dark roux (AKA chocolate roux) that requires a relatively long cook.

The texture you want is often described as "wet sand." If it is clumpy, you have too much flour. I get my oil hot (shimmering), and sprinkle the flour in and start stirring.

Stiring your roux almost constantly is important, and I find a whisk to be the perfect stirring tool. I also use a cast iron pan (enamel coated) because it holds a steady temperature.

Here is a dark roux. It feels like VERY fine, very wet sand if you rub it between your fingers.

1694824966952.jpeg

At this point, I add my Trinity, stir, stir, stir, getting everything coated and softened. Then, I add my stock/broth.

That's how I do it. Now I'll go back and read the other suggestions. I'm sure medtran49 has some good advice. She cooks cajun a lot, too.

CD

Last edited:
When I make a roux for gravy it always becomes paste-like then I slowly add the liquid. I only cook my roux for about 1-2 minutes because I want a blonde roux. The darker it is the less thickening you get. I want a nice thick gravy. I can always add more liquid to thin it.

Yes, roux for a gravy is different than roux for a gumbo. Gumbo is not a lot thicker than soup. That dark roux adds a nice earthy flavor, though.

CD

To me a paste is more solid than liquid. My "roux" was definitely solid and separated into blobs that looked like dough, but in the pics I've seen the roux always looks somewhat liquid.

Yes, a cajun roux leans more toward liquid than paste. If you start with a paste for a dark roux, you are going to burn it.

CD

My guess is that the ratio is off too. Next time I'll try weighing the butter and flour instead of using spoons to measure it.

I don't measure my oil/fat anymore. I do measure the flour. I combine and adjust. I have a pretty good feel for what amount of oil to start with, but I don't assume it's right. It only takes a minute or less for me to know it it's off, and correct it.

CD

As others have written, your fat/flour ratio is off. At most, they should be equal amounts, with the fat part always being equal to or higher in the ratio, and the fat should be in liquid form before the flour is added. Then you have to stir, stir, stir as soon as you add the flour until a smooth mixture forms. Then, you keep stirring (or whisking) until the roux gets to the color you want. Add the warm to hot liquid in small amounts stirring constantly until the roux is thinned out, then you can add in the rest of the liquid. Doing it that way keeps lumps from forming.

BTW, the vast majority of Cajun roux (as opposed to French roux) are made with oil, not butter. Butter is far more likely to burn as you get into the darker roux than oil, which will give you a funky, burnt taste.

If you want a butter taste, either use margarine or a combo of butter and oil so the burning point of butter will be higher. For a gravy, I would not take a roux containing butter darker than a light medium brown.

Oh, are you using homemade or purchased stock? Some commercial stocks have off tastes because of the preservatives and other chemicals used in them, so make sure the stock you are using, if purchased, tastes okay to you.

Also, be aware that the darker the roux, the less thickening ability it will have.

As expected, you and I are on the same page.

I use Better Than Bouillon for my stock.

CD

Agree with medtran49 if you're making a classic French roux. Equal parts of flour and butter, stir stir and stir until well-mixed, cook for a while then add milk - because I only ever use a roux for making bechamel.
I wouldn't know about a Cajun roux - never made one.

Agree with medtran49 if you're making a classic French roux. Equal parts of flour and butter, stir stir and stir until well-mixed, cook for a while then add milk - because I only ever use a roux for making bechamel.
I wouldn't know about a Cajun roux - never made one.
I mostly make roux for bechamel too. And I have the same problem,before I add the liquid the roux looks like blobs and not really "wet sand".

BTW, I didn't spell your name wrong, autocorrect did it. :laugh:

CD

We were watching Public Broadcasting Service TV on Saturday and there happened to be an episode on making a roux for gumbo. The series name is Dooky Chase Kitchen.

There are several places where the episode is streaming, but I am not sure what LissaC can see so the episode name is The Queen of Creole Cuisine, season 1, episode 115. She starts making the roux at the beginning.

I also like Chef Isaac Toups. He uses a hot and fast method. I just dial back the heat, and take it a bit slower. Otherwise, he does what I do, pretty much.

CD

The mystery of my failed roux has been solved. It's not the quantities. It's the type of pan I was using.

I weighed my ingredients with a scale this time. After adding the flour to the pan it quickly became this:
1696530165323.png

It was impossible to remove the lumps and turn it into something liquid no matter how vigorously I whisked and stirred.

I just got a new, enameled cast iron pan. So I had the idea of making the roux on my new pan. And it worked. It worked immediately and I finally got a nice bechamel sauce.

The other pan I was using was stainless steel, but it's probably not thick enough. The enameled cast iron pan works perfectly well.

The mystery of my failed roux has been solved. It's not the quantities. It's the type of pan I was using.

I weighed my ingredients with a scale this time. After adding the flour to the pan it quickly became this:
View attachment 105537
It was impossible to remove the lumps and turn it into something liquid no matter how vigorously I whisked and stirred.

I just got a new, enameled cast iron pan. So I had the idea of making the roux on my new pan. And it worked. It worked immediately and I finally got a nice bechamel sauce.

The other pan I was using was stainless steel, but it's probably not thick enough. The enameled cast iron pan works perfectly well.

I would have never guessed that. I use enameled cast iron, but not because I thought it would make a better roux. It's just what I always use for gumbo, soups and stews.

The only thing I can think of is what you said, the thickness of the SS pot. I don't know why that would matter, but I'm glad the change worked out for you. :okay:

CD

Back
Top Bottom