How do you make chili flakes? I need your advice

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
6:55 PM
If you take a look at the flakes they pretty much look like dried red chilies with seeds on. I was wondering if there is a simple way to make them in your own kitchen? Do I sun-dry them and how long or is there an equipment to make the process faster I need your help

Here's how. I have done it before (once) but to be honest I can get them really cheaply from an Asian store so its simply not cost effective for me to make them.How hot they turn out will depend on how hot your orginal chilli are. I suggest using Jalapeños, perhaps, if you don't want too hot or Habanero if you do want hot.

http://www.sharmispassions.com/2015/02/homemade-chilli-flakes-how-to-make.html

1. cut what ever chillis you have got in half or even quarters so the flesh is open and dries out faster and more even.
  2. Place them on a sheet with parchment paper
  3. dry peppers at 200F degrees.
  4. Keep an eye on them and remove those that are dry as need be so they don`t burn.
  5. It can take a few hours.
  6. You can crush them to make flakes in a pestle and mortar or grind them to make a chili powder.
  7. Use a coffee grinder or food processor once they are cooled

Great advice from community members! I myself don't know too that's why I went on this board. What a way to use a coffee grinder now I have an additional use for mine.

We make chili sauce more often than chili flakes. But since you need chili flakes, we do process it the traditional way. We cut the pepper in desired sizes then placed on a tray covered by banana leaf. It would be dried under the direct sunlight but take note, the banana leaves will somehow block some of the sun's rays and dry the chili faster. I cannot say if the duration is 2 hours or 3 hours but the rule of thumb is to check on the chili flakes if it looks dried already.

Here's how. I have done it before (once) but to be honest I can get them really cheaply from an Asian store so its simply not cost effective for me to make them.How hot they turn out will depend on how hot your orginal chilli are. I suggest using Jalapeños, perhaps, if you don't want too hot or Habanero if you do want hot.

http://www.sharmispassions.com/2015/02/homemade-chilli-flakes-how-to-make.html
I was a fan of the chili flakes that came with the pizza it had been a puzzle for me wondering how they made those. Thank you for this link it was not difficult after all. I started laughing in amazement that was so easy. Is that the rest of it? I can do that inside my kitchen with no special equipment needed. I appreciate the help

Could be interesting the next time you have coffee.
Its best to use a dedicated spice grinder (or clean your coffee grinder ). I use my spice grinder a lot - for grinding dry roast whole spices for curry! I have a super little one that has an insert for doing small amounts. it cost less than £20 (less than 30 dollars).

wahl.jpg

I wonder how many of you guys still use the mortar and pestle? I find that quite charming to be honest. That unsophisticated rustic charm of it is interesting for me. I know it may not be the most practical way to grind my spices but I am still using it.

I wonder how many of you guys still use the mortar and pestle? I find that quite charming to be honest. That unsophisticated rustic charm of it is interesting for me. I know it may not be the most practical way to grind my spices but I am still using it.
start a new thread with a poll.... I know I certainly do.:D

I love reading the comment on this thread. A lot of helpful information from everybody. to be practical you can just buy it cheap at a grocery store, but if you will make some you have to choose the most powerful chili in your garden dry it out and use a mortar and pestle (for powder form), But if it is flakes you want then it must be cut to desired flake before drying. now you buy plastic or glass containers for storage. be careful to wash your hands before you poke your eye or face. It is not only bees that sting LOL

I am a chef who likes mixing tradition with modern stuff. When you say chilly flakes i think of ground red pepper. If we are thinking of the same thing i have to say that South Serbian town Leskovac is famous for peppers and BBQ. They have made it an official brand recently. They have really hot peppers and they mean business. It is still being done manually in mortar to ground and they dry it in many different ways. You can see the video here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4gOY6OmEY

I make my own chili flakes and powder. I try to keep things simple. I just put the chilis from my garden in a large metal colander and leave it on the kitchen counter. Whenever I am in the kitchen and think about it, I give them a stir with my hands. After a few weeks they are completely dry. At this point I store some of them in ziploc bags and chop or grind the rest in my food processor. BIG LESSON LEARNED: Put the food processor outside when grinding!! The first time I ground them we were all choking and coughing for hours. We laughed until we cried!!

Back
Top Bottom