How do you make gravy?

You don't. It's for dipping. We call this sandwich a French Dip, although I have no idea if they serve this sandwich anywhere in France or other parts of Europe.

Edited to add that you can put gravy on a sandwich, my husband does it every once in awhile. He makes the sandwich open-faced and puts gravy on both sides.

For the French Dip, you make the thin gravy (an au jus) and make the sandwich on a crusty roll (over here we call them hoagies) like this:

View attachment 79916
I made French Dip Sandwiches for lunch for us three one day awhiles back.
I used one of those dry mix packets, no Bueno!
I'll stick to ordering it out instead.

I made French Dip Sandwiches for lunch for us three one day awhiles back.
I used one of those dry mix packets, no Bueno!
I'll stick to ordering it out instead.
Yeah, it's best to have your own juices from your roast. You're right, packet no esta bien. It's too thick anyway, even if the flavor was decent.

Last edited:
I dont use much and it's very subtle. You probably wouldn't notice much difference.

If there is any vinegar in there at all, it's very little. I think that too much of it would overpower the taste of everything else. I'd be tasting mostly vinegar. Not good!! :headshake:

Yes it is. The point I was making is that in Canada you'll see it called a beef dip instead of French dip. The reason behind that isn't clear to me, maybe it's because it's beef that you dip but I'm not sure. Periodically I'll see French dip, which I know is the beef dip translation.
In the US some places refer to it as a beef dip as well, French dip is just more common.

Edited to add that maybe it's because we have to differentiate between Italian dips and French dips? Cheeses and some seasonings are different between the two, so...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom