How do you make gravy?

I'll look for it the next tim that I'm at Whole Foods.
I saw it on Walmart's website but my store doesn't have it in stock, I would have to order it to be shipped. Our local store is smaller than a lot of them.

I don't make enough gravy to warrant wasting precious bacon grease on it. When I make sausage gravy, I use the sausage drippings. When I make beef gravy, I use the beef drippings (and I have some drippings in containers in the freezer to use for brown gravy as well). I do like to use a little bacon grease and olive oil to pan fry my potato hash for breakfast, and of course cooking beans and some vegetables. Oh, and if I am making my own refried beans (I prefer it over canned), bacon grease is a must!

I wish I could find a good sale on bacon right now so I could stock up.

Jas, I wouldn't do that either!! Like yourself, I, also, use it to make home fries. Makes them taste great & gives them a real down-home Southern-style smokey taste!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I don't make enough gravy to warrant wasting precious bacon grease on it. When I make sausage gravy, I use the sausage drippings. When I make beef gravy, I use the beef drippings (and I have some drippings in containers in the freezer to use for brown gravy as well). I do like to use a little bacon grease and olive oil to pan fry my potato hash for breakfast, and of course cooking beans and some vegetables. Oh, and if I am making my own refried beans (I prefer it over canned), bacon grease is a must!

I wish I could find a good sale on bacon right now so I could stock up.

I got low on bacon grease a while back, and bought a jar of it. I like that it is very well filtered, so there are no specks of possibly burnt bacon. I often use it where a recipe calls for small amounts of lard/manteca, because small containers of lard can be hard to find.

CD

I'm a little late to this party, but I must say, the cover photo of this thread is driving me crazy!
Now I so want some Turkey, mashed Russets, Turkey Gravy and some fresh Green Beans.
I LOVE American style gravy!
In Hawaii, where I am originally from, gravy is a big thing.
When ordering a dish that includes any sort of gravy, you will always be asked, "and do you want gravy all over?"

I'm a little late to this party, but I must say, the cover photo of this thread is driving me crazy!
Now I so want some Turkey, mashed Russets, Turkey Gravy and some fresh Green Beans.
I LOVE American style gravy!
In Hawaii, where I am originally from, gravy is a big thing.
When ordering a dish that includes any sort of gravy, you will always be asked, "and do you want gravy all over?"

So what sort of gravy is served in Hawaii?

So what sort of gravy is served in Hawaii?

I know brown gravy is the thing on the classic plate lunch, Loco Moco.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.20.18 PM.jpg

CD

I've NEVER made gravy with tomato paste or sauce. But I've been at places where they'll call marinara red gravy. :o_o:

Last edited:
I've NEVER made gravy with tomato paste or sauce. But I've hbeen at places where they'll call marinara red gravy. :o_o:
I use both tomatoes and tomato paste when making beef stock. I smear the tomato paste on the bones before I brown them off in the oven and I'll add some whole tomatoes to the pot along with veg and herbs. Both of these add a complexity to the finished stock. Not a lot of chefs do this but It's something I've been trained to do and find it makes a difference when I omit them.
For chicken stock I generally make a brown chicken stock which is roasting the carcasses and will do the same as well.

These stocks are just the canvas and further alchemy is required that will enchant everyone that eat from your plates and the stock is the magical elixir that gets the credit.:hyper: lol.

I use both tomatoes and tomato paste when making beef stock. I smear the tomato paste on the bones before I brown them off in the oven and I'll add some whole tomatoes to the pot along with veg and herbs. Both of these add a complexity to the finished stock. Not a lot of chefs do this but It's something I've been trained to do and find it makes a difference when I omit them.
For chicken stock I generally make a brown chicken stock which is roasting the carcasses and will do the same as well.

These stocks are just the canvas and further alchemy is required that will enchant everyone that eat from your plates and the stock is the magical elixir that gets the credit.:hyper: lol.

I start roasting the veggies & beef bones first. After a while, I smear the crushed tomatoes ont the bones & veggies. A wile later, I dump it all into a big stock pot, bring the stock to a boil, lower the heat & let it simmer for several hours until the meat falls off the bones.

But now, I don't make beef stock that way. I got some beef shanks in the freezer. I just brown the shanks in a little oil, had the veggies & tomatoes with seasonings to the stock for soup & let it boil. This is the much faster way when you don't want to use beef bones. :whistling:

Last edited:
I start roasting the veggies & beef bones first. After a while, I smear the crushed tomatoes ont the bones & veggies. A wile later, I dump it all into a big stock pot, bring the stock to a boil, lower the heat & let it simmer for several hours until the meat falls off the bones.

But now, I don't make beef stock that way. I got some beef shanks in the freezer. I just brown the shanks in a little oil, had the veggies & tomatoes with seasonings to the stock for soup & let it boil. This is the much faster way when you don't want to use beef bones. :whistling:
Yeah, sure GG that works. Beef stock for me is an 18 hour simmer, minimum, chicken I simmer with slightly higher heat for about 3-4 hours.

Yeah, sure GG that works. Beef stock for me is an 18 hour simmer, minimum, chicken I simmer with slightly higher heat for about 3-4 hours.
People think it's just the flavor as well, not realizing the amount of good collagen protein that bone broth has! I know that you know.

Anyone here ever use a bit of apple cider vinegar or wine when making stock? Helps to leech good nutrients and additional flavor from the bones to amplify the nutrition of the stock. Got wrinkles or joint issues? Brittle or splitting nails? Drink some stock made with a good bone broth (AKA stock).

Anyone here ever use a bit of apple cider vinegar or wine when making stock? Helps to leech good nutrients and additional flavor from the bones to amplify the nutrition of the stock. Got wrinkles or joint issues? Brittle or splitting nails? Drink some stock made with a good bone broth (AKA stock).
I always without exception deglaze the roasting pans with wine and add that to the pot.

Back
Top Bottom