How do you make gravy?

Omg it's so expensive now. I had bought some on sale and froze it in October. We used the last package recently 😑

yeah, I was quite surprised at the price, considering that pork is a really big thing over here. I bought about 2 lbs of pork loin yesterday for around $11 - the bacon (12 oz - 340 gms) cost about $7.
But we all have to make sacrifices, right?:D:D:D

I start with a roux of flour & a little fat or oil. I brown it a little in a skillet. Then I add some water or veggie broth. I keep adding this iuntil the gravy is at the constistancy that I want. Then I add seasonings such as salt,black pepper & a little garlic. Sometimes I add some sliced onions & a few drops of gravy master or kitchen bouquet. Then I taste for seasoning. I let it cook until thye onions are soft, but not mushy. Tastes great over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes!!! :whistling:

Rice and gravy is a good, cheap filler food. It is like Kraft Mac-and-Cheese or instant ramen noodles for people down South -- the day before payday food. :laugh:

CD

This Shimp & Sausage Gumbo was made using a roux, browned until it was dark, the color of peanut butter. :whistling:

Omg it's so expensive now. I had bought some on sale and froze it in October. We used the last package recently 😑

I get bacon from my friend who's a retired butcher. $20 kg you can smell the smokeyness in it
Crisps up beautifully too. He gets it from the guy who took over his business. Best bacon I've had.

Russ

I get bacon from my friend who's a retired butcher. $20 kg you can smell the smokeyness in it
Crisps up beautifully too. He gets it from the guy who took over his business. Best bacon I've had.

Russ
Yeah, if you are going to pay the price, might as well get the best. Supermarket bacon isn't cheap and most of it isn't that great. A butcher is the way to go.

Yeah, if you are going to pay the price, might as well get the best. Supermarket bacon isn't cheap and most of it isn't that great. A butcher is the way to go.
Wife has to have scrambled eggs and crispy bacon Saturday morning. I oblige her. She really really loves her Saturday brekky. Free range of course

Russ

If I have pan drippings, add some butter and flour to make a roux and then water and/or half-n-half.

For quick gravy , melt butter with some dry boullion or "Better than Boullion" add flour to make a roux and then water.

I have Better than Bullion in several flavors; Veggie, Beef, Chicken & Seafood!! But when I use it, it's very scarcely. It has a ton of salt in it!! If your're not careful, the thing that you use it in can be WICKED SALTY!!! Like Emeril Laggase says, You can always add, but you can't take it away!! :whistling:

I use bacon fat for lots of things, including gravy! :wink:
I don't make enough gravy to warrant wasting precious bacon grease on it. When I make sausage gravy, I use the sausage drippings. When I make beef gravy, I use the beef drippings (and I have some drippings in containers in the freezer to use for brown gravy as well). I do like to use a little bacon grease and olive oil to pan fry my potato hash for breakfast, and of course cooking beans and some vegetables. Oh, and if I am making my own refried beans (I prefer it over canned), bacon grease is a must!

I wish I could find a good sale on bacon right now so I could stock up.

I have Better than Bullion in several flavors; Veggie, Beef, Chicken & Seafood!! But when I use it, it's very scarcely. It has a ton of salt in it!! If your're not careful, the thing that you use it in can be WICKED SALTY!!! Like Emeril Laggase says, You can always add, but you can't take it away!! :whistling:
I saw that they have a new roasted garlic BTB. Yum. I haven't tried it yet.

Back
Top Bottom