How Do You Soup?

I sense a newish thread coming (it's probably in the CB archives somewhere) but...

Late this summer our boorish ground hog ate all the leaves off my jalapeño plant and left just the peppers (thank goodness). I harvested the peppers, but I took the broken branches and stuck them in water in a glass in the window (we don't get a lot of light anywhere in my house during winter). I was just curious if it would grow. Yes, it grew a root system, then flowered, and now I have little tiny jalapeno peppers growing on the stalks!

My husband calls our fat resident groundhog "Stewie". This is because his mother, who grew up very poor, related the story of how, when she was growing up, her family was very poor and her father once shot a ground hog, cleaned it, and presented it to her mother for a dinner. She said it wasn't actually too bad. Henceforth, all groundhogs are now "Stewie". Stewie made me angry more than once this year already, he ate all my basil (twice) and ate my parsley, and the lettuce as well. Grumble.

Last edited:
You picked a soup I don't like!

Don't be shocked, Rascal! You know how picky I am, LOL! When the kids were little they liked grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup to dip it in. I like grilled cheese, but never understood the tomato soup part. Maybe I would like it if I made it from scratch? Not sure.

I don't like soup in hot weather, but I could do it in milder summer weather with no problem. But it is particularly satisfying when it's chilly out.

I've always loved soup. Especially veggie beef & barley soup. And it make the whole apartment smell like soup!! Makes me want to eat some before it's ready!!! So satisfying & has lot of stuff in it!! :whistling:

I've always loved soup. Especially veggie beef & barley soup. And it make the whole apartment smell like soup!! Makes me want to eat some before it's ready!!! So satisfying & has lot of stuff in it!! :whistling:

As my DH says, the more "goodies" the better.
I like a nice thick, hearty soup, one that will fill you up for a while.
And of course, they always taste better a day or 2 later.
I just did an inventor of my two freezers out in the finished garage, and I've only got 4 more servings of Soup left! :ohmy:
Gotta make more!
I was thinking today about a Wild Rice version in the Instant Pot...

We are going to finish off the spicy turkey Tex-Mex soup tonight!

Talking about tomato soup - I make a roasted tomato and carrot soup. Sounds boring, but you wouldn´t believe how good it is. The flavours intensify with the roasting.
I really suck at growing anything, believe me!
Where I live, in Venezuela - you breathe on the earth and I´m damned if something grows there!:D:D

Had this for lunch the other day and then shared some next door

chicken enchilada soup.JPG

Chicken Enchilada Soup, really tasty!
I can't recall where or how I found this recipe but I found it quite interesting that the step of making this soup is to melt/stir in Cream Cheese. I never would have thought to add Cream Cheese to a soup.
Missus Next-Door-Neighbor asked me for a copy of the recipe :chef:

Got some shanks in the freezer. I'll make some soup with one soon!! :whistling:
What kind?
I've got 4 smoked Ham Hocks and I'm searching for a window of time that I can make Hawaiian-Style Portuguese Bean Soup, one of favorites. We're suppose to get snow in the next coupla days, so ... 🤞

Stone soup. I like to start with one from the beach and go from there. :okay:

I remember a children's story about Stone Soup. When my Nieces were young I read the story to them and we made Stone Soup. I hid the ingredients around the house. We acted out the story and cooked a wonderful beefy vegetable soup. One of my favorite memories.

Slightly off topic, but if you buy scallions, when you cut off the root part, you can put it in a glass of water on your windowsill (I use a shot glass) and it will grow. Or you can just stick it in the soil if you have a place where it gets enough sun and it isn't too cold and it will root right in and grow. It's actually been in the 30s here (and a little colder at night) and my green onions are the only thing left growing in the garden. It will come back next year as well.
Plants/cuttings rooted in water develop a different root system than plants rooted in soil. Less sustainable than plants rooted in soil. Get a large, shallow pot. Fill it with potting soil. Tuck your scallion roots in and water. Your roots should be at least 1 1/2" to 2" long. I keep my pots of scallions outside year round. IDK about Ohio. Your winters are much colder. I would keep them under cover - patio cover - or inside in a west or south window. Water lightly and regularly. Just because the temps are low does not mean that your plants do not need water. Winter winds or indoor heating suck up as much water as summer sun and heat.

In South Louisiana when temperatures drop to the 40's F it is called Gumbo Weather. Get out the big gumbo pot and make gallons of chicken and sausage gumbo. For the two of us one big pot frozen in gallon bags will keep us in gumbo through most of the winter.
We both love a chicken and celery soup. Another big batch soup. Carrabba's lentil and Italian sausage soup. One of G's faves. Beefy Vegetable Soup - a staple. Split Pea soup - one of my faves. Can't forget Black Bean and Spanish Chorizo soup.

Yes, we love soup.

I almost forgot - Creamy Mushroom Soup. Quick and easy for lunch or a dinner side. Also used in recipes that call for tinned cream of mushroom soup.

IMG_1162.JPG

Loaded Potato Soup: homemade chicken stock, potato chunks, bacon, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, scallions, just like a loaded baked potato, with Shrimp added in 😋 `cuz why not gild that lily just a bit.
I added a goodly pinch of Cayenne when I did a last taste for seasoning, good call.
For service, freshly ground Black Pepper and Scallions.
Oh, those crackers on the side of the bowl, those are flown in all the way from Hawaii!
Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers.
For this household of home-sick Island folks, this is comfort food.
This is coming down to the last of what I brought back in my suitcase from Honolulu in 2019... I can find these in Las Vegas, about a three hour drive from our home, but we're not making any trips in the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom