How do you store your Butter?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
2:03 AM
At room temperature? In the fridge? Frozen? All three?

All 3 for me. I have two covered butter dishes on the counter with a stick (8 tbsp.) butter in each. One salted and one unsalted. I have four sticks of each in the butter compartment of the fridge. Several packages of each in the freezer.

Your turn.

Last edited:
@ElizabethB

My French or Asturian butter is in stick form and wrapped in a special paper ..

I then, wrap in another layer of cheese paper, which I buy at the main market for my cheeses. I do not freeze butter, because we use it for our breakfast croissants .. and French Omelettes ..

I live walking distance ( or a10 minute bus ride ) to both La Mercat de La Boqueria, the famous central Market and also El Corte Ingles Hyper Market, the largest supermarket in Spain .. and so I do not store alot of food (freeze) as we travel alot as you know ..

I also store it all three ways, @ElizabethB. My counter butter is kept in a butter bell, though.
mZnoAcnzS7c7V4_KRG6MHEg.jpg

I don't bother buying salted butter, only sweet. I use butter more for cooking and baking than I do spreading on bread/toast, and figure I can always add salt if I need to. I never seem to need to, though.

...I don't think I have ever frozen butter. Why would I want to? I am sure there are reasons so please tell!
Butter goes on sale at a nice discount at certain times of the year. Sometimes, you end up paying for two pounds what you would for only one when there is no sale. It is times like that when I buy it to freeze, keeping a nice supply on hand for baking and cooking. I prefer fresh-bought butter for spreading on toast, though. I get really happy when a store offers Kerrygold or Finlandia butter on special. When I can buy those at a lower price I get busy baking fresh bread just for the occasion! :happy:

Butter goes on sale at a nice discount at certain times of the year. Sometimes, you end up paying for two pounds what you would for only one when there is no sale. It is times like that when I buy it to freeze, keeping a nice supply on hand for baking and cooking. I prefer fresh-bought butter for spreading on toast, though. I get really happy when a store offers Kerrygold or Finlandia butter on special. When I can buy those at a lower price I get busy baking fresh bread just for the occasion! :happy:

We don't tend to get butter discounted here so I suppose it never occurred to me to buy and freeze. I notice you mentioned 'sweet butter' - not a term we use here but I gather that means 'unsalted butter'. How much does butter cost where you are? In UK it has increased in price recently - the cheapest I can find is £1.50 for 500g. It used to be less than £1.

£1.50 for 250g computes to roughly $4 a pound. That is the going rate for commercial butter in the stores around my neighborhood. Sometimes the stores have butter on sale at 2-one pound boxes for $5. Sometimes they sell them for $2 a pound - that is when I stock up, since it is basically half of the normal price. One of the grocery stores I shop at has special offers if you spend $15 or more in one shopping trip. I get really excited when I notice that a premium butter (like Kerrygold or Finlandia) is just a little bit more than one dollar for the 7-ounce block. Neither of those brands ever sees the freezer, though.

I usually purchase whatever is on sale - except for Walmart's "Great Value" brand of anything. Not such a value when the quality is so poor.

Costco opened a store close to us. Their premium butter is very good. Their brand is Kirkland. They buy the right to put their label on products. Their Vodka is also very good. They have a Kirkland's American vodka and a French vodka. Both are excellent - very smooth.

I will look for Kerrygold and Finlandia on sale. I have seen it and know which store sales to watch.

I usually keep mine on the shelf in the door of the fridge unless I particularly need soft butter. I buy organic unsalted butter mainly for spreading (or where a recipe says add a knob of butter), and top up with supermarket unsalted butter for baking or frying.

I just made a run to Costco. The Kirkland Signature brand butter (their premium brand) was $11.99 for 4 lbs. $3 per lb. (453 g.) They had Kerrygold. $7.99 for 1.5 lbs. (680 g)

Back
Top Bottom