How do you store your eggs?

FoodWasteFighter

Über Member
Local time
1:52 PM
Hi there,

I'm part of a project trying to look at practical ways in which food waste could be reduced. We're trying to collect as much information as possible about egg habits at the moment, so please help us out and answer this 2 minute survey. Thanks!

http://goo.gl/forms/CgQw8IcbMo

Done.

Of course, the way I deal with eggs in Scotland is a bit different to the way I dealt with them when I lived on the Red Sea coast...

Done,
It was a conversation I was having last week about why we keep eggs in the fridge when supermarkets keep them ambient!

Well. Having done a bit of on-line research, it seems that the only reason to keep eggs in the fridge is in case they have salmonella. In the UK chickens are injected against it by law but in the US they aren't (although a minority of egg producers do). Eggs will keep just as fresh in or out of the fridge. But in the fridge will prevent salmonella increasing. At least, that is what I read. I am thinking that in America, unlike the UK, the supermarkets probably keep eggs in the chiller cabinet.

Refrigerators used to come with a special shelf on the door that allowed consumers to store their eggs there without breaking them.

They've long since stopped making them that way! I wonder why. :scratchhead:

Done. This reminded me of a friend of mine who always unpacked her eggs in her fridge door. She was always complaining that her eggs go bad quick. She quickly realised that too much opening of the fridge door lets warm air in and her eggs are more likely to spoil quicker.

Yes, my fridge has an egg compartment on the inside of the door, but I never use it. I leave them in the box on the kitchen worktop.

Anyway, I keep them in the fridge. I think that in addition to them being kept cold, they are kept better fresher & safer there. :wink:

We leave ours in the box in the cupboard, never in the fridge because apparently with the shells being porous they absorb smells etc... from other things in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom