• Chop everything into manageable pieces, then mix in the dressing

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Chop everything into manageable pieces, then dip forkfuls in the dressing

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
What are the pink things?
Lavender flowers. The petals (and only petals and you have to know petals from sepals) of most (UK) flowers are edible. I could have used rose petals but there'd been an accident with one of my lavender plants and they were wilting so I put them in water and then used them in the salad.

Lavender flowers. The petals (and only petals and you have to know petals from sepals) of most (UK) flowers are edible. I could have used rose petals but there'd been an accident with one of my lavender plants and they were wilting so I put them in water and then used them in the salad.

So pretty! Aren't lavender flowers a bit overpowering though? I know the seeds can be.

Re flowers - I sometimes use sage flowers and rosemary flowers - also pansies and violas. New thread?

So pretty! Aren't lavender flowers a bit overpowering though? I know the seeds can be.
Petals only are fine. We didn't eat the flower heads. Not all parts of the flower are always edible. So we pulled the pink petals off 9 and ate just those. It's similar with dandelions, only the yellow patty of the flat head, the actual petals are edible, as with daisies. IIRC no part of buttercups are. I'd have to check with my book wrt buttercups.

It pays to know a bit about the structure of a flower and the difference between the parts, but roughly speaking is the bit that had the colour that attracts the bees that is edible if removed from the rest of the flower head.
Some plants like nettles that flower and have seeds are also edible. Nettle seeds have a strong effect on the adrenal stress, for instance. They are also load with beneficial nutrients, so you only need around 1tsp part day.

Re flowers - I sometimes use sage flowers and rosemary flowers - also pansies and violas. New thread?

All of the herbal flowers you've mentioned are fine iirc. Probably best for a new thread.

I mostly add flower petals for colour.

In a restaurant I eat my salad as plated because it looks more refined.
At home I chop and mix so everything gets coated equally with dressing which I prefer and often doesn't happen in restaurants.

I found this in my pictures. A salad from a vegan resturant back in February (summery here).

DSC_0482.JPG

Back
Top Bottom