How Far Do You Travel For Groceries?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:38 PM
Spawned from another thread…for those who still shop in-store, how far do you travel for groceries?

I have six grocery stores that I frequent. I do have others, but they’re one-offs. My main ones are these six:

1. Local Kroger
2. Local ALDI
3. Big Kroger (Kroger Marketplace)
4. Dorothy Lane Markets
5. Marc’s
6. Jungle Jim’s International Market

The first two are in the town closest to me, and are anywhere from 15-19 minutes away, by car.

The big Kroger is 35 minutes away, Dorothy Lane Market is 39 minutes away, Marc’s is 35 minutes away, and Jungle Jim’s is 61 minutes away.

I go to the local Kroger probably three times a week, the ALDI once every two weeks, the big Kroger, Marc’s, or Dorothy Lane once a week (sometimes, I’ll stop at more than one, as they’re in the same general area), and Jungle Jim’s about once a month.

How about you? If you’re leaving the house to shop, how far do you go, and how far are you willing to go for a particular item?

Not any distance as everything is delivered to my door and that is not only post Covid, as I've been food shopping on-line since the mid '90's. But back in the day when I did sometimes go food shopping it was a 5 minute walk, because Aldi is just at the end of my road.

Here in the Western part of the USA, we've just gotten use to the fact that everything is a bit of a drive, no walking.
The farthest a field I've gone is 45 minutes one way to Costco... I'd make this run maybe once a quarter or so, and make it all worth my while too! Along the way, there's a Five Guys Burger joint!!!

Last edited:
Spawned from another thread…for those who still shop in-store, how far do you travel for groceries?

I have six grocery stores that I frequent. I do have others, but they’re one-offs. My main ones are these six:

1. Local Kroger
2. Local ALDI
3. Big Kroger (Kroger Marketplace)
4. Dorothy Lane Markets
5. Marc’s
6. Jungle Jim’s International Market

The first two are in the town closest to me, and are anywhere from 15-19 minutes away, by car.

The big Kroger is 35 minutes away, Dorothy Lane Market is 39 minutes away, Marc’s is 35 minutes away, and Jungle Jim’s is 61 minutes away.

I go to the local Kroger probably three times a week, the ALDI once every two weeks, the big Kroger, Marc’s, or Dorothy Lane once a week (sometimes, I’ll stop at more than one, as they’re in the same general area), and Jungle Jim’s about once a month.

How about you? If you’re leaving the house to shop, how far do you go, and how far are you willing to go for a particular item?
I do a mix of curbside grocery shopping and some in-store shopping, though mostly curbside still. It's just so convenient and the fewer germs I encounter the better--not just covid since I have been vaccinated and boosted (going to get my 2nd booster shot pretty soon), but I like not having colds or other pesky illnesses, so I still wear a mask when I go inside of anywhere. Beuhler's (I rarely go there) is 5 miles and also is right across the street from a farmer's market I like (Shaffer's), There are 2 Acme Fresh Market stores within 10 miles (I rarely shop there), 3 Giant Eagle stores within 10 miles of my house, and 2 Aldi stores within 15 miles. I like the Aldi's that is 15 miles away because it's bigger, cleaner, newer, more upscale area than the other. The 2 Giant Eagle stores that are closest to me I rarely go to, as the 3rd is the big Market District store and they have everything there, including booze and wine, and a drive-up pharmacy. That's where I do my curbside shopping. Oh and there is a Walmart 5 miles from here, too. We also have a Marc's store about 5 miles away, but I don't go there much, at least to that location.

We just don't have any of the big chains around here except for Walmart. If I am working in a different city and I see a Meijer store, I always make a point to stop in. Often my work takes me inside of the stores listed above in the 1st paragraph (at different locations) and I can usually find something I want to buy.

Well, that's not entirely true.
We have gone as far as 3 1/2 hours away by car, to buy specialty items, mostly frozen goods, from Hawaii - in Las Vegas.
But then we make a long weekend out the trip and visit friends from Hawaii who have moved there.
Las Vegas has the nick name of "the ninth Island" in Hawaii-speck, because so many folks either visit often to gamble or actually move there.
I use to be able to get my Hawaii food fix 1 1/2 hours away in "The Big City", but it is no more.
From what I understand, it's too small of a profit margin for these stores to fly in goods from Hawaii.
You have to go to California or Las Vegas, where there are distribution centers that fly stuff in en masse.
And I'm down to my last 6 packets of frozen Zippy's Restaurant Chili :cry:

Not any distance as everything is delivered to my door and that is not only post Covid, as I've been food shopping on-line since the mid '90's. But back in the day when I did sometimes go food shopping it was a 5 minute walk, because Aldi is just at the end of my road.
I love the online shopping, but I hate paying delivery fees. I do like the curbside grocery shopping at the store I mentioned in my post above (Giant Eagle Market District) because they don't charge a service fee for curbside. Walmart doesn't either, but Giant Eagle has better quality products and a bigger selection. It ticks me off that Acme and Buehler's charge a service fee. I suppose it's fair since they have to pay someone to get the products you ordered and put them in the trunk, but still. I am a bit frugal, LOL.

Well, that's not entirely true.
We have gone as far as 3 1/2 hours away by car, to buy specialty items, mostly frozen goods, from Hawaii - in Las Vegas.
But then we make a long weekend out the trip and visit friends from Hawaii who have moved there.
Las Vegas has the nick name of "the ninth Island" in Hawaii-speck, because so many folks either visit often to gamble or actually move there.
I use to be able to get my Hawaii food fix 1 1/2 hours away in "The Big City", but it is no more.
From what I understand, it's too small of a profit margin for these stores to fly in goods from Hawaii.
You have to go to California or Las Vegas, where there are distribution centers that fly stuff in en masse.
And I'm down to my last 6 packets of frozen Zippy's Restaurant Chili :cry:
Can't you order stuff on Amazon?

Can't you order stuff on Amazon?
Sure, I can order online but their mostly frozen goods and the S&H charge is more than the product!!!!
Alot of the dry goods I can find with sometimes very little fees... I just have to watch their websites for specials.

Sure, I can order online but their mostly frozen goods and the S&H charge is more than the product!!!!
Alot of the dry goods I can find with sometimes very little fees... I just have to watch their websites for specials.
Ah, I was thinking you could get shelf-stable items at least and I think it's free shipping with orders over $35, not sure (or if you are a Prime member it's free). I am not a prime member and I rarely buy anything from Amazon...

Most of my shopping is at Kroger or Costco, which are both within a few minutes drive. I'll drive a bit to hit the Mexican or Asian grocery if I need something special. Otherwise it's Amazon.

Most of my shopping is at Kroger or Costco, which are both within a few minutes drive. I'll drive a bit to hit the Mexican or Asian grocery if I need something special. Otherwise it's Amazon.
Yeah, there is an Asian market within 10 miles of me as well, but I don't shop there all that often anymore because they quit getting the Panax ginseng that my husband likes. But they have the best sesame seed oil there and New Zealand green mussels. I have yet to visit any of the little Mexican grocers around here, perhaps I should give that a whirl sometime.

Yeah, there is an Asian market within 10 miles of me as well, but I don't shop there all that often anymore because they quit getting the Panax ginseng that my husband likes. But they have the best sesame seed oil there and New Zealand green mussels. I have yet to visit any of the little Mexican grocers around here, perhaps I should give that a whirl sometime.
I used to go all the time - good place for plantains, cactus paddles, as well as things like goat and mutton. Also usually a great selection of dried chilis for cheap

We use to have an Asian Market here in Cowboyville and she would go down into "The Big City" and bring product back.
But I found out just the other day that she has closed her business :cry:
I can understand, but now I won't even be able to get non-Hawaii foods :cry::cry::cry:
No more New Zealand Green Lip Mussel (DH loves those).
No more Kamaboko aka Japanese steamed Fish Cake.
No more frozen Banana leaves to make my Kalua Pork.
The other dry goods I can order online ...
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Local Publix which is about 2 miles from the house. There is a Fresh Market about 20 miles from here. My wife passes it on her way home from work so if they have something that we want she stops on her way home.

Back
Top Bottom