How long to preheat your oven?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:01 AM
I set my oven to 425F/about 220C, and just happened to glance at my phone for the time of day, and made a note to check how long to come up to temperature.

Exactly 30 minutes! 3-0! A full half-hour!

Had you asked me to guess, I would have said, “Oh about 10 minutes, I don’t know…”

Turns out, I really don’t know!

If you’re so inclined to run your oven up to 425F/220C, mark the time and post it.

The air fryer, BTW…three minutes.

I set my oven to 425F/about 220C, and just happened to glance at my phone for the time of day, and made a note to check how long to come up to temperature.

Exactly 30 minutes! 3-0! A full half-hour!

Had you asked me to guess, I would have said, “Oh about 10 minutes, I don’t know…”

Turns out, I really don’t know!

If you’re so inclined to run your oven up to 425F/220C, mark the time and post it.

The air fryer, BTW…three minutes.

I can get mine to 400F/200C in ten minutes or less. My sister's oven takes forever. Mine is really fast. It is a 20 year old Kenmore, from back when Kenmore was a top quality brand.

CD

Last edited:
I haven't timed it, but I know it's not 30 minutes because when I made pita a couple weeks ago, which is 450 F, I turned the oven on a little over 5 minutes before I started rolling and stretching out the pita. By the time I had 3 ready to go and was just starting on the fourth, the chime went off to tell me it was at temp.

pay no attention to the Ding! thing.

if you're using a (pizza) stone or a (pizza) steel, one hour pre-heat is the absolute minimum for those devices to "meet their expectations"

pay no attention to the Ding! thing.

if you're using a (pizza) stone or a (pizza) steel, one hour pre-heat is the absolute minimum for those devices to "meet their expectations"
Yep, I always go at least an hour if I’m making pizza.

I know mine takes a good period of time (at least 30 minutes). It's why we use the airfryer as an oven so much, because it's preheat is 2 minutes.
After I’d realized how much time was going by, I thought, “Why didn’t I just do these in the air fryer?!?!”

Looks like this is yet another air fryer Appreciation Thread. I'm still not going to buy one. You can't make me. It's not a fryer, because it doesn't fry anything. :headshake:

CD :D
With the amount of oil that comes out of the things we cook in it, I think I may rename ours to an air de-fryer, lol. :laugh:

We use it more as a miniature oven. Something has made a huge reducing to our electricity bill this winter. Usually a winter bill is $750-800 ( electricity isn't cheap in Australia) but this winter it's only been $600. I've barely used the oven this winter unless I've had enough to fill the air de-fryer more than twice.

0 to 200 in 10 mins. Ovens about 5 years old and Chinese.
Airfryer: I've weighed up my options then a friend ordered one. She says the as was bogus. It was HUGE .Shes sending it back.
I'm a big no . Dont need any more gadgets.

Russ

With the amount of oil that comes out of the things we cook in it, I think I may rename ours to an air de-fryer, lol. :laugh:

We use it more as a miniature oven. Something has made a huge reducing to our electricity bill this winter. Usually a winter bill is $750-800 ( electricity isn't cheap in Australia) but this winter it's only been $600. I've barely used the oven this winter unless I've had enough to fill the air de-fryer more than twice.

On one hand, I admire how you live where you live, but on the other hand, I wonder about your sanity. :wacky:

CD

It's not a fryer, because it doesn't fry anything.
Quite agree. I'll stick to my oven.
When I make pizza, I crank the heat up to maximum (550F) and leave it there for 20 minutes or so. Then I put the pizza dish in for 5 minutes, to let it really heat up. Homemade pizzas come out lovely and crispy.

Back
Top Bottom