How many of you cook in your Vitamix Blender?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:54 PM
It's great for making hot soups without a stove because of the friction created by the blade that spins so fast (25,000RPM)!! I've made sweet potato soup, tomato soup & veggie soup. For added texture, I put some veggies in & pulse a few times to make it look like I'm eating whole veggies with the soup!!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Never. I haven't got one.
I went to a demo a few years ago and the machine was a mouth-watering $1000.
A good stick blender and a saucepan give me similar results.

I do agree. I think its own worth having if you make a lot of things from fibrous materials or nuts as it renders them perfectly smooth. I think maybe SatNavSaysStraightOn has one and uses it for vegan cheese making (?).
She DOES have one. I think that it's the A3500 model. She talked about it many times & she's very pleased with it. :whistling:

Never. I haven't got one.
I went to a demo a few years ago and the machine was a mouth-watering $1000.
A good stick blender and a saucepan give me similar results.
Mouth-watering? I'd hardly call spending a thou on a blender mouth-watering. Yes, they ARE very good. I paid about $440 for mine. I was about to buy the Explorian for $299, but the price went up to about $350 from $299. So I decided to get the lowest priced model (A2300) in the Ascent series & get a few more features with it.

That's the whole point, they say, & most other brands also have that feature - allowing you to make hot soups & sauces without a stove. I think that's their biggest selling point. I used to watch demonstrations at the New England Home Show since the mid '70's & I've been wanting one ever since then. :whistling:

I'd hardly call spending a thou on a blender mouth-watering
For a thousand bucks, (here in the 3rd World), I could buy a Cuisinart, a KitchenAid with all the trimmings, the best stick blender in the world and a couple of Instant pots, and still have some change for a case of beer:D:D:D
But hey, each to their own. I still bounce around like an Energiser Bunny, but my BIL find cooking hard work, so a Vitamix would probably be great for them.
Plus, you've got to take into account how much a person enjoys the unattractive aspects of cooking. Mise en place, mashing, slicing, etc. I'm one of those " I want to make it from beginning to end" cooks, but I perfectly understand those who aren't. 👍

I think we picked ours up for around AU $995 or thereabouts. It was a Christmas sale special offer price in one of the local major retailers instore, not online. It was on offer at the time with extras (we've 3 sizes of blending containers). It is, as GadgetGuy stated the Vitamix Ascent A3500i model.

Certainly as someone who routinely purées nuts, it has been a great value for money. It is used several times a week at least.

We looked at the cheaper ones, but the need to puree nuts into a thick cream and the much stronger motor, came out as the deciding factor.

I would like to get the wet 1.2L jug for it which would allow me to blend smaller quantities more easily (as in 500ml). (There are 2 different blades in the 2 main jug sizes, wet blades and dry blades. The dry blades jugs allow you to find grain into flour for example. I've no use for those.)

The smoothie and the nut/spice grinder sizes (came with ours as a freebie) are just a tad too small for the cashew or almond cheeses or cashew cheese sauces and the standard 2.4L jug means I always have to double the quantity made but I'm not paying out AU$300 for a smaller jug. If I happen to drop on one for half that price, then yes I'll get it. In the meantime, I'll just continue with my current solution which is to make twice what I need and freeze half of it.

It's like all things in life though. You either buy cheap and often, or you pay $$$$ for something you know will last a lifetime. I prefer to buy quality once. That's my choice. We saved up for the Vitamix and it was well worth the money. I'd not hesitate to replace it, if it were to fail outside of the 10 year warranty. But its still in the warranty period.

We did previously have a cheaper model from another company. It didn't do the job well at all and we often had bits of nuts left in the cashew cream/puree and it struggled to get anything smoot. I'd repeatedly have to stop and scrape the sides, mix by hand, then blend a bit more, add more liquid, blend again and so on. It could only blend soaked soft nuts as well and didn't do a good job of those. We bought it because we thought the Vitamix was too expensive. It failed after 2-3 years. The Vitamix was a gamble after a lot of research. Yes it was a lot of money but it has already lasted twice a long as the old one and still has 5 years left on the warranty. It also can blend any nut, not just soft nuts, and nothing needs to be presoaked.

Oddly though, I don't cook soups in it, but I do reheat them to serve in it if the portion size is correct (2 people, not one because of the jug size issues mentioned above).

I do agree. I think its own worth having if you make a lot of things from fibrous materials or nuts as it renders them perfectly smooth. I think maybe SatNavSaysStraightOn has one and uses it for vegan cheese making (?).

Yes, I have one. And it was worth every (Aussie) cent

I have a Vitamix - birthday gift from
Mr. Herbaceous several years ago.

I agree with SatNavSaysStraightOn - they are expensive, but worth it. If you make any kind of nut milk, nut cheese, or a creamy vegan sauce, they are invaluable. I mostly use mine for smoothies, and even then, it does an absolutely fantastic job of blending the ingredients perfectly smooth (especially useful for green smoothies, as you want the greens to be very finely blended to make it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients).

I don’t make soup in mine frequently, but I love it for making vegan roasted red pepper sauce - roast some peppers, toss em in there with an avocado, olive oil, lemon juice and some seasonings, press the soup button, and five min later you’ve got a yummy, steaming hot sauce.

For a thousand bucks, (here in the 3rd World), I could buy a Cuisinart, a KitchenAid with all the trimmings, the best stick blender in the world and a couple of Instant pots, and still have some change for a case of beer:D:D:D
But hey, each to their own. I still bounce around like an Energiser Bunny, but my BIL find cooking hard work, so a Vitamix would probably be great for them.
Plus, you've got to take into account how much a person enjoys the unattractive aspects of cooking. Mise en place, mashing, slicing, etc. I'm one of those " I want to make it from beginning to end" cooks, but I perfectly understand those who aren't. 👍

Well, as the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for. I've been buying cheap no-name blenders, cheap no-name stand mixers, cheap no-name food processors & whatever else that's cheap & found out that It's only money. But it's really not if you keep doing that! Just like the FoodSavor. that & machines like it kept on breaking down! I decided that enough was enough & bought a chamber vacuum sealer. I've come to the realization that to get the best performance out of something & for it to last a long time, you're going to have to spend some money. For many years, I've wanted a Vitamix blender, but I was just too cheap to spend the money! I never knew what I was missing until I got one. :whistling:

Well, as the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for. I've been buying cheap no-name blenders, cheap no-name stand mixers, cheap no-name food processors & whatever else that's cheap & found out that It's only money. But it's really not if you keep doing that! Just like the FoodSavor. that & machines like it kept on breaking down! I decided that enough was enough & bought a chamber vacuum sealer. I've come to the realization that to get the best performance out of something & for it to last a long time, you're going to have to spend some money. For many years, I've wanted a Vitamix blender, but I was just too cheap to spend the money! I never knew what I was missing until I got one. :whistling:
I thought the Food Saver was the pricey good one? :) I had two cheapo vacuum sealers from Alibaba that both died after a couple of uses. so decided to pay more for the Food Saver which is still going strong!

I thought the Food Saver was the pricey good one? :) I had two cheapo vacuum sealers from Alibaba that both died after a couple of uses. so decided to pay more for the Food Saver which is still going strong!
I think a Food Saver is sort of middle of the road. I had to laugh after my brother spent years and years convincing me to get a Food Saver, telling me how awesome they were and how much money he saved, and I finally bought one, and had some trouble with it initially, and when I asked him, he said, “Yeah, those really aren’t that great. You need a chambered one like I have.” :laugh:

Not to get off-topic, but, speaking of cooking without a stove, I can cook a whole entire meal just by using THIS, & never have to touch the stove at all!! Like my Vitamix blender!!! :whistling:
Ninja  Foodi.jpg

I just watched a vid on Facebook where 3 small children made milk from cashews & water to put on some hot oatmeal for breakfast!!!! Now I heard of it being made from almonds before, but cashews?!!!! :whistling:

I just watched a vid on Facebook where 3 small children made milk from cashews & water to put on some hot oatmeal for breakfast!!!! Now I heard of it being made from almonds before, but cashews?!!!! :whistling:
Cashews are often used in Indian cooking to make creamy sauces. Cashew nuts are very soft, so yes - why could you not make "cashew milk" from them?

Cashews are often used in Indian cooking to make creamy sauces. Cashew nuts are very soft, so yes - why could you not make "cashew milk" from them?
I just never tried it!! The kids were using THIS container to make the milk. :unsure:
Vitamix Stainless Steel Carafe...jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom