The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:53 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
garlic-bulbs-cloves-13483951.jpg

I used to rail against unspecific quantities in recipes, like a bunch of parsley or small tomato. There's always a variation in the size of bunches at markets, and what one person considers to be small could be medium to someone else. I've since realized that it doesn't matter: I will play with the proportions until I get it to where I want it.

But, I was interested when I saw this post from Food52, with probably the most debated question of all: how much garlic is in a clove? We all know that a bulb of garlic contains cloves that are different sizes. When I see a recipe that calls for 2 cloves of garlic, I imagine what the largest garlic clove I've ever seen looks like, and combine the smaller bits to create that quantity...then I add some more garlic. I really like garlic.

Where the linked discussion loses me is when it's inevitable that discussions of garlic don't just go to how you measure it, but what form you get it in, and how you break it down. Some people are such purists that I'm shocked at their passion. Chief among these is a quote from Anthony Bordain:

Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago, garlic that has been smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. [...] Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don’t deserve to eat garlic.

There is a strange thing about garlic (I think) when talking quantity. I reckon a small amount can be as potent as a larger amount. If you have never tried this then give it a go:

Toast a slice of bread. Cut a clove of garlic in half (no need to peel) and rub the cut side vigorously over the toasted bread. Now taste the bread. Hardly any garlic will have been used and yet...

Last edited:
Recently and, for my own benefit, I list the quantity of garlic in my recipes as "teaspoons of pureed garlic" (same with ginger). There are times when I have neglected to defrost pureed garlic in time to use so I always keep "fresh" garlic to hand. I reckon two cloves of the size of garlic that is available here is about 1 teaspoon.

Recently and, for my own benefit, I list the quantity of garlic in my recipes as "teaspoons of pureed garlic" (same with ginger). There are times when I have neglected to defrost pureed garlic in time to use so I always keep "fresh" garlic to hand. I reckon two cloves of the size of garlic that is available here is about 1 teaspoon.

Yes - probably the same here unless it is the type now being sold as 'Cook's Garlic' which is about twice the size.

TBH if the garlic is going to be cooked in a casserole. stew. curry etc. I don't think it makes any difference if you use more - even up to three or four times more. Raw garlic used in salad dressings, for example, is another matter.

Yes - probably the same here unless it is the type now being sold as 'Cook's Garlic' which is about twice the size...
What other types of garlic are there? Vampire-repelling garlic? :unsure: I suppose you would also use the "cook's garlic" if you were eating it for natural blood pressure control.

Rule of thumb about garlic when on a date: always make sure your date eats as much fresh garlic as you do. :wink:

The problem with garlic is that it always tastes so different depending where you get it from. Supermarket garlic is pretty bland so I always add more, but the organic garlic I get from the farm is quite strong tasting, especially if it is eaten raw, and the cloves are huge. I was once told by a dietician that you shouldn't eat more than four cloves a day because it is a blood thinner and a lot can be pretty distressing if you are on blood-thinning medication (not that I am) - but, how much is four cloves of garlic? . Also, that you should not give it to dogs and cats is a lot of tripe. They can have it in moderation (for instance, 0.5 g per kilo of body weight for my mutt). It's good for the gut in humans and animals providing you don't overdo it. More than that I am not adding.....

Back
Top Bottom