How much measuring do you do in a savory recipe?

How much measuring do you do in a savory recipe?

• I always measure all quantites exactly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I usually measure all quantites, but not if I'm familiar with the recipe.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I measure unfamliar ingredients, but wing it when it comes to more common ingredients.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I eyeball everything when making a recipe regardelss of whether or not I've made it before.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I have another way that I'll be happy to describe in a reply to this post.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:20 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I love cooking, and I love discovering new recipes. But, the quanties I list in my ingredient lists are approximations. While baking typically requires precision, I rarely measure anything in a savory recipe. If it's a new recipe, I'll scan the ingredient lists of several similiar recipes. And, even if I've never made the recipe before, I'll make substitutions based on how I know ingredients go together.

I never used to do that. I always used to find what I considered the Best version of a recipe (i.e., posted by someone famous or in a reputable source like New York Times Cooking). Then, I'd make the recipe exactly as it was written, even if it meant having to shop for specific ingredients. After that, I might make substitutions. But, I'd always measure everything.

Now, I make substitutions on the fly before I even make the recipe. I may never find out how the recipe was suposed taste. The fact that I rarely have a disaster in the kitchen has supported my reckless disregard for precision. I still clearly remember an attempt to make a praline apple pie for a holiday gathering that ended up watery. The problem was that I used a praline sauce I created that added too much moisture. Winging it doesn't work so well for baked things.

What do the rest of you do? Did you used to measure everything, and now you're confident enough to wing it? Or, do you still meaure everything (for the sake of consistency in the result, or some other reason)?

Like you The Late Night Gourmet , when I bake, I measure everything, it's meant to be a science project.
When I cook Savory, I rarely measure any longer, but eyeball, from the get go ... I feel as though at my age, I've been doing this for awhile.

Mostly like Rocklobster
I weigh if needs be as my scale is ready to use. I have to admit to trying to find metric recipes in case of something new so I can work on ratio's.
I generally double the amount of spices as I know it will be too tame for me otherwise.
I do check who the recipe is written for though as you can get a fiery surprise otherwise (don't double chili's in recipes targetted at Thai or Indonesians) :)

I generally double the amount of spices as I know it will be too tame for me otherwise.
don't double chili's in recipes targetted at Thai or Indonesians)
pretty much the same here.
I almost always double herbs and spices except chillies (they also set my asthma off it is not totally stable, but then so can peppermint!)

With a new recipe, I'll stick to the measurements, on the basis of "if I have never made it, I don't know how it should taste".
Exactly. I think that is important even if somebody isn't particularly fond of a certain ingredient. They shouldn't reduce or leave it out. If somebody only uses the ingredients they like, every dish in their diet will eventually start to taste the same..I have to be careful at work when I make so many different types of meals and soups.
My partner says she doesn't care for cinnamon or allspice with meat and associates that flavour with deserts and baking..although, when I add it to curries where it is blended with other spices, she likes it.

My partner says she doesn't care for cinnamon or allspice with meat and associates that flavour with deserts and baking..although, when I add it to curries where it is blended with other spices, she likes it.

My wife still bears the scars of having had raw onion in recipes as a child. If she sees onion on the counter when I'm preparing a dish, she'll tell me that I should leave it out. She can't get past the feeling that onion in a recipe always presents strongly, in its raw form. I've told her countless times that literally every savory recipe she's every had has onion in it: every soup, every sauce, every stew, every pie. But, it doesn't sway her.

Needless to say, I hide the onion when I see her, and I incorporate it when she's not looking. :whistling:

If she sees onion on the counter when I'm preparing a dish, she'll tell me that I should leave it out.
My wife can't take raw onion either. It makes her gag, which is pretty dramatic if we're in a nice restaurant :hyper: . Usually I cook it until it's almost melted in the pan - or hide it , just like you do.

. . . . following along the topic . . . . I got confused.
the OP seems to be about measuring recipe ingredients "carefully" but it has morphed into "substituting" - or did I get stuck in the mud somewhere . . . ?

for a "new" recipe I try to stick as closely to the amounts/ingredients as possible. if it turns out well, wonderful. if it's tasty buy 'too much/too little' of x,y,z - I make notes for "improving" the next round

I have exceptions - I dislike sage with a passion - it will never enter a dish . . . stuff like "red pepper flakes" - neither of us are "set yo'mouth on fire" fans, so that's one that gets cut to ~1/4 of the specified amount.

and then . . . I am much more an onion fan than DW. I've learned to use less, and/or sub leeks/shallots/scallions.

. . . . following along the topic . . . . I got confused.
the OP seems to be about measuring recipe ingredients "carefully" but it has morphed into "substituting" - or did I get stuck in the mud somewhere . . . ?

It seems that I prepared this thread the way I prepare a recipe: I started with an idea, and things evolved along the way. I did start it as a "how much do you measure" thread, but realized that I could/should have made it a "how faithful are you to a recipe" thread. But, undoubtedly, I would have meandered from there to some other destination. :laugh:

I rarely follow recipes to the letter. Some ingredients make me laugh. Chickpea flour? Seriously? I never put celery in anything for instance. It ruins any dish for me. I almost always make modifications. I make substitutions for ingredients I don't have on hand. I don't measure. I add ingredients by eye, experience and taste. I tend to cook by the seat of my pants if that makes any sense. It isn't always successful as you can imagine but sometimes it is brilliantly good. It makes cooking challenging and fun for me.

Back
Top Bottom