How should olive oil be used for cooking?

I learned long ago that olive oil had a bitter aftertaste if used in cooking. I've found that I don't notice if I do what I always do: load up on the flavors and spices. But, I have noticed it when I use it to fry eggs. It's subtle, and I wouldn't call it bitter, but it's there. I still prefer to use a neutral oil for frying, and I have plenty of it, so I can keep on doing that, and reserve olive oil for other purposes.

I don't like using OO for frying eggs, especially EVOO. The taste of the oil is too strong for the subtle flavor of the eggs. I only use butter for eggs. They cook so fast, and I use a medium/low temperature, so burning the butter is not an issue with my eggs.

CD

This is common knowledge here, regular olive oil has a higher burning point than eevo. I have been taught this at culinary school.

But, as I am suprised to see while searching for this now, this is apparently a myth and is no longer taught. So that's probably why you never heard of it.

It's incredible how things/information change from country to country. I agree about the burning point of Evoo, I think it also depends on how much experience one has in using it. Probably that's also why I personally never had issue with it since it's quite popular over here.

It's incredible how things/information change from country to country. I agree about the burning point of Evoo, I think it also depends on how much experience one has in using it. Probably that's also why I personally never had issue with it since it's quite popular over here.
Yeah to be honest me neither, I've been using it since I saw Italians do it too and not wanting to buy two bottles. And I've never had it burn either.
But what I had been taught at school was different and thus I answered the question with what I believed was the right answer, not what I considered my own choice to take a risk.

I just cooked a tomato sauce for pastas (with garlic and fresh tomatoes) and an aubergine/red pepper/onion/garlic mixture for stuffing canneloni. Both with EVOO. Neither of them burned and neither was submitted to "high" heat, so I'm a bit mystified as to why some don't use it.
However, there's a caveat: EVOO has a particularly strong flavour. With the aubergine mixture, it was exactly what I wanted, but with certain foods, it might not work.

I just cooked a tomato sauce for pastas (with garlic and fresh tomatoes) and an aubergine/red pepper/onion/garlic mixture for stuffing canneloni. Both with EVOO. Neither of them burned and neither was submitted to "high" heat, so I'm a bit mystified as to why some don't use it.
However, there's a caveat: EVOO has a particularly strong flavour. With the aubergine mixture, it was exactly what I wanted, but with certain foods, it might not work.
Like eggs! And probably not Mexican food, either. Whenever I first visited Mexico and asked for olive oil, I got a light colored (almost clear) oil that was definitely not olive oil. I like it with herbs for dipping bread. I learned quickly to just stick with butter.

I do use olive oil for Thai food occasionally (If I got no sunflower oil).
The spices way overpower the taste of oil.
I fry my eggs in olive oil as well.
But then, there is nothing subtle about me :wink:

I do use olive oil for Thai food occasionally (If I got no sunflower oil).
The spices way overpower the taste of oil.
Bt you use the light version (a blend) and not extra virgin, right?

Nope
Extra virgin.
At least thats what the label says.

By the way, I don't buy anything that says lite or light on the package
Me too. But no eggs in olive oil for me, I use butter or bacon fat usually. Sometimes a mix of butter and grapeseed oil.

That's what I like about you!

Do you find the white of the egg sort of bubbles up if cooked in olive oil? I've tried several times now and however fast or slow I cook, this happens and the texture of the white (for me) affects the mouth feel and the taste. The taste of the olive oil with the eggs is basically good though.

Do you find the white of the egg sort of bubbles up if cooked in olive oil? I've tried several times now and however fast or slow I cook, this happens and the texture of the white (for me) affects the mouth feel and the taste. The taste of the olive oil with the eggs is basically good though.
I haven't noticed a difference.
Thats basically olive oil versus sunflower oil.
I see a difference with different heat levels and also with different frying pans

I think the bubbling depends on how much liquid is used, whether it's oil or bacon grease or butter: more liquid seems to create more bubbles. I don't know this for sure, but I do have 10 eggs left in a carton, so there may have to be a science experiment. 🧑‍🔬

I think the bubbling depends on how much liquid is used, whether it's oil or bacon grease or butter: more liquid seems to create more bubbles. I don't know this for sure, but I do have 10 eggs left in a carton, so there may have to be a science experiment. 🧑‍🔬

I would think water content of the egg whites to be a factor. Water turns to steam when hot enough. Steam expands, making bubbles.

Add that variant into your science project. 🤓

CD

Back
Top Bottom