I need a new mobile phone

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:01 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So, I am needing a new mobile phone. The case is pretty much the only thing on m hiding my existing one together and periodically it doesn't unlock, just hangs and you have to restart the phone to use it.

It's a battered and badly dropped Samsung Galaxy S8+ which has survived longer than it's Sony equivalent did with me.

I'm only interested in Android, so no Apple devices.

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, but there is no micro SD card, so that's out. Budget is around $1,000 AUD (USD $750 or £500). It's a combined big birthday & Christmas present.

Requirements are good photography (with raw capability), (not fussed about selfie camera capability) and a micro SD card. 5G would be nice but I can only just get a mobile signal where I live, so only any use if I'm in 'town' once my service is upgraded.

What would be your choice?

What would be your choice?

Most of it is beyond me I'm afraid. I have a Samsung A11, probably the cheapest that you can buy at less than £100.00 but it is adequate for me (I do not generally use the camera).

Last edited:
All of my smartphones have been Apple iPhones, so I can't help you.

CD

I've got an Samsung xcover due to my incapable two left hands. It's usable with new apps, not that expensive and sturdy like a tank.

But with the black week going on, I would take the one with the best specs for the biggest discount.

Why do you need that?
I'm on limited data for satellite broadband (75Gb per month for everything including television and that costs $150 pm) and limited data for mobile data (5Gb for $50pm).

Moving data around, backing up photos from the phone and all other data, goes onto the SD card. Without one, I'll need to move +150Gb of photos and data off the existing data card minimum. Plus the backing up of new photos etc will eat into existing data allowances and if the phone dies, I can't just slip the card out and put it into any card reader. And I'm good at killingphones by dropping them. Hand problems plus frequent falls so I can't just be "more careful".

I'm on limited data for satellite broadband (75Gb per month for everything including television and that costs $150 pm) and limited data for mobile data (5Gb for $50pm).

Moving data around, backing up photos from the phone and all other data, goes onto the SD card. Without one, I'll need to move +150Gb of photos and data off the existing data card minimum. Plus the backing up of new photos etc will eat into existing data allowances and if the phone dies, I can't just slip the card out and put it into any card reader. And I'm good at killingphones by dropping them. Hand problems plus frequent falls so I can't just be "more careful".

I can move files/photos around using either bluetooth or my home network -- very easily. Neither of those use any date time on my phone plan. Since my phone and computers are all Apple devices, moving files is requires no special apps or complicated set-up. Surely you should be able to do that. with a Samsung and a Windoze PC. I don't know diddly about Samsung (or Windoze) -- perhaps MG knows how to do that.

CD

We have Samsung phones and Windows on the PCs. I transfer data either using the home network or by wire. I've found that Bluetooth is a bit slow.

Back
Top Bottom