I think the cafe may need renaming...

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:43 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Well the title says it all... In the other forums I am a member of, all not food related, the cafe is a social area for general chit chat and off-forum conversations relating to anything other than what the site is dedicated to. But here cafe doesn't seem to fit and I'm not certain our members have worked out what this area is for...

Does it need a new name? Or a better description? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it a more social non food, non cooking area where members can talk about anything else?

Ideas, thoughts, anyone please?

I was thinking that maybe a title like 'General Discussion' or 'Off Topic' would be good names for this section. Actually, that is what I have seen on other forums. Or how about a topic like 'Non-food discussion?' That may be a good one too. I cannot really think of any other names that would be appropriate.

Being British, if I saw Coffee Break or Tea Time I would know it was a place to hang out and chat to relax. Maybe coffee bar or lounge?

I like the idea of the lounge...

If it was my late grannie it would be Elevenses!

Maybe 'Is teatime at 4 o'clock?' or "What is elevenses?" would get conversation going :D

Yep ok maybe I need to snooze off my pain meds :o_o:

:laugh:

Actually I was going to write 'Elevenses' but I know the US visitors would not understand it! So you need something universal.
I always like 'Elevenses' a concept most people don't know about as shift work has become the norm.
Nowadays its called morning coffee break and then about 3:30-4 pm it would be coffee time or tea time! Either way, most people know it's a time to chat and relax.

I like the idea of the lounge...

If it was my late grannie it would be Elevenses!

Maybe 'Is teatime at 4 o'clock?' or "What is elevenses?" would get conversation going :D

Yep ok maybe I need to snooze off my pain meds :o_o:

:laugh:

The lounge or elevenses does sound good.

Actually if I had seen a heading like 'Elevenses' I would not have had a clue as to what it meant...now I know. "The lounge" sounds okay to me too, but I guess a heading like "Off Topic" would ring a bell for me right away. I would have been questioning the heading: "Is tea time at 4 o'clock?" Anyway, I know what it means now.

I'm with Caribbean girl on this one. I wouldn't have had a clue if I'd seen "Elevenses" or "Is it tea time at 4 o'clock", either. At least not without some sort of an explanation. That being said, I think anything you want to call it is ok; and, actually, I don't see anything wrong with it remaining "The Cafe".

Elevenses" or "Is it tea time at 4 o'clock",
They were more of a British joke than anything else. :laugh:

I wasn't sure if members had really got the idea of the cafe area as a hang out to talk about anything else other than what one would typically have in a cafe or similar and was trying to come up with ideas as to what it could be called or described as.

The only 'topic' that is off-topic so to speak is food and drink really and was searching for something or some way of conveying that idea.

Back
Top Bottom