I thought grow lights simulated the sun?

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
1:04 AM
I never realized this before, but I can "have" herbs in the wintertime, I just need grow lights to replace the sun. I can't believe I never thought of that before. Anyway, I got this recently. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085CDPSMR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (inserting hyperlinks isn't working for some reason, it's placing them in the wrong spot). I have been using this light with a basil plant I transplanted earlier this week, but it doesn't seem to be doing well. I have never had a problem with basil before. I am putting the light on a 12-hour timer to simulate the sun in the summertime, but I seem to be on the losing side of things. The plant still seems to be dying, just at a slower rate than without the grow lights. I put the plant in a big container thingy and filled in the extra area with that miracle grow dirt stuff and used a little bit of plant food diluted in water and then watering regularly each day. I don't think there's anything else I can do.
20240103_151148.jpg

I had a hobby greenhouse. thought it would be kool to grow all kinds of stuff over the winter (Valley Forge area . . . . )

as you investigate, you will likely be dumbstruck by the amount of artificial light required to mimic 'the sun'
florescent "grow lights" aka wide spectrum used to be all the rage . . . the problem was their "wide spectrum" deteriorated at an alarming rate. a 50-50 mix of bright white and warm white bulbs got close to the 'ideal spectrum' and lived a lot longer.

example: for leaf lettuce - something one would think to be so simple . . . it required near total coverage, i.e. fixtures side by side . . . hung 3-4 inches over the sprouts (raised as they grow....) - "on" for 18-20 hours per day.

regrets, no experience with the new LED types. hopefully they're much more powerful/suitable than the old florescent types.

The reviews would have you believe it should be working fine. Two things cross my mind one - that its not full spectrum as theres no mention of blue leds, two - that basil hates being over watered, a tiny amount regularly with no dousing’s works for me.

I've never used grow lamps. My indoor herbs do fine with just window light.

Repotting in a bigger pot with Miracle Gro soil is a good thing. Be careful with plant food/fertilizers. That soil has plenty of what your plants need for nutrients, for a good while.

If that plastic container under your pot has standing water, That's not good. Basil needs to be watered, but also need to drain. It wants most soil, not soaking wet soil.

CD

Hmmm, weird. I'm treating it the same as the basil I did earlier this summer when it was outside, and the basil outside did amazing, it quadrupled in size. Maybe I did over water, I'll lower the amount and keep the light on them for longer.

I have plenty of genovese basil. Summer here so I grow from seed Oct thru april may? Winter months I grit my teeth and pay supermarket prices. Daughter took 2 plants home yesterday. Big healthy plants.

Russ

Maybe I did over water, I'll lower the amount and keep the light on them for longer.

It is not so much the amount of watering, as it is allowing the soil to drain. Like I mentioned, if that plastic container has standing water in it, dump it out.

My indoor basil does not look full and deep green like my garden basil in good weather, but it tastes good.

CD

I never realized this before, but I can "have" herbs in the wintertime, I just need grow lights to replace the sun. I can't believe I never thought of that before. Anyway, I got this recently. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085CDPSMR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (inserting hyperlinks isn't working for some reason, it's placing them in the wrong spot). I have been using this light with a basil plant I transplanted earlier this week, but it doesn't seem to be doing well. I have never had a problem with basil before. I am putting the light on a 12-hour timer to simulate the sun in the summertime, but I seem to be on the losing side of things. The plant still seems to be dying, just at a slower rate than without the grow lights. I put the plant in a big container thingy and filled in the extra area with that miracle grow dirt stuff and used a little bit of plant food diluted in water and then watering regularly each day. I don't think there's anything else I can do.
View attachment 108800
Once rot from over watering sets in with basil, there is little you can do to stop it. That looks like a combination of problems to me.

I guess your summer watering scheme outside will probably not have had a base to the plant pot, so the plant never stood in water. Also temperatures will have been higher and less humid. You've clearly got a rot issue from the state of the stems around the soil. Also with ceramic pots, the sun warms the soil up far more than those daylight lamps will be doing. So the ceramic pot will have had warm drier soil, your pot there hasn't. A windowsill with a radiator next to it would help, but I'll be surprised if you easily save that pot.

Once rot from over watering sets in with basil, there is little you can do to stop it. That looks like a combination of problems to me.

I guess your summer watering scheme outside will probably not have had a base to the plant pot, so the plant never stood in water. Also temperatures will have been higher and less humid. You've clearly got a rot issue from the state of the stems around the soil. Also with ceramic pots, the sun warms the soil up far more than those daylight lamps will be doing. So the ceramic pot will have had warm drier soil, your pot there hasn't. A windowsill with a radiator next to it would help, but I'll be surprised if you easily save that pot.

My house in winter is just the opposite as far as humidity. The gas fired, forced air heating systems dry the air out. I actually have a humidifier in my bedroom so my skin doesn't get too dry (and itch). Also, my house is also very well insulated and air sealed.

My window sill is warm enough -- double pane glass.

The pot for my basil has a water tray under it. I just never let water accumulate in that tray.

CD

I agree it’s a drainage issue. I have my basil container sat on a saucer but I always empty the saucer after watering so the roots aren‘t sat in water rotting.

I have found with my shop bought potted basil that some plants are quite strong and some just don’t seem to be able to wait to keel over. How often and how much they are watered does make a big difference to their survival.

I’d pinch off anything droopy or manky leaving only the good leaves and reduce your watering right down making sure it’s not sitting in any water for any length of time.

Repotting in a bigger pot with Miracle Gro soil is a good thing. Be careful with plant food/fertilizers. That soil has plenty of what your plants need for nutrients, for a good while.

If that plastic container under your pot has standing water, That's not good. Basil needs to be watered, but also need to drain. It wants most soil, not soaking wet soil.
DITTO CD
- use a larger pot
- use Miracle Gro soil without additional fertilizer
- ditch the water in the pan
- use your grow lights but help your plants out with natural light in a bright west or south west window
Good luck!

OK, I'm gonna take another whack at growing herbs indoors during winter time. I've transferred the plants to pots and have some fertilizer in them as well. I have natural sunlight as well as my grow lights,and a cheat sheet for watering them. I want fresh herbs!
20240114_134125.jpg
20240114_134216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom