Ice cube trays vs. ice machines

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:01 AM
I don't and haven't used ice cube trays for ice in a long long long long time. But then, I haven't had ice in beverages in a long time.

I still find uses for ice cube trays, like making mix and test evaluations of combinations of things.

Lately, I have been considering an ice machine.

However, a lot of the available ice makers are huge. I would want something small that would produce just enough ice, not just as cubes, but also as slush, shards or slivers. Yes, I know that some refrigerators have them built in. I don't have such.

I can't find that dream machine that I have in mind.

I have had a couple of counter-top ice makers (given to me by manufacturers when I did product reviews for a magazine). They are not small, but not too big, and they don't need any kind of drain. Plug and play.

They make enough ice fast enough to accommodate drinks for a few people. They don't make cubes. They make small "tubes" of ice.

Unknown-4.jpeg

I kept one at our office, and took one home. I didn't keep the one at home more than, maybe, six months, since my refrigerator/freezer had an ice maker with a dispenser in the door. It was redundant.

But, if you don't have an ice maker in your fridge, and have some space for it, it is nice to have.

CD

I have had a couple of counter-top ice makers (given to me by manufacturers when I did product reviews for a magazine). They are not small, but not too big, and they don't need any kind of drain. Plug and play.

They make enough ice fast enough to accommodate drinks for a few people. They don't make cubes. They make small "tubes" of ice.

View attachment 53767

I kept one at our office, and took one home. I didn't keep the one at home more than, maybe, six months, since my refrigerator/freezer had an ice maker with a dispenser in the door. It was redundant.

But, if you don't have an ice maker in your fridge, and have some space for it, it is nice to have.

CD

My portable one my kids got me makes that exact shape ice, handy as a back up ot to take away. I've used mine three times. I use a lot of ice every night. Rum n Coke. I have a maytag fridge freezer, the door has filtered water, crushed ice, or whole ice, makes in half circles.

Russ

My portable one my kids got me makes that exact shape ice, handy as a back up ot to take away. I've used mine three times. I use a lot of ice every night. Rum n Coke. I have a maytag fridge freezer, the door has filtered water, crushed ice, or whole ice, makes in half circles.

Russ

View attachment 53770

Yeh, I think all the fridge/fezer ice makers make those half circles. I hate them, but that's what is available. That was the best thing about the portable one I had -- those "tube" cubes were nice in a drink.

CD

General question. Do these machines filter the water ? My Bosch F/F makes cubes etc.

I don't think so, you just pour a litre in and close it up, starts producing in about 8 mins. But I use water from my fridge, which is cold and filtered!! It's a great wee machine, when we were in Nelson two years ago I was buying two bags of ice a night @ $5 ea.

Russ

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
They make small appliances you hand crank to get the type of ice you want. Of course, you have to make the ice first. I don't know about this particular make/model but here's an idea of what I mean.

Amazon.com | Ice Crusher Slush Machine Crushed Ice for Slushies Cocktails & Smoothies, Household ice blender, ABS Free Plastic Jug: Ice Crushers

I can see myself getting an Ice Crusher Slush Machine. It doesn't make Ice, but it give me options on what I can do with Ice.

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom