Iced drinks VS hot drinks VS room temperature drinks

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
9:48 PM
The discussion on ice makers prompted me to start this thread.

My question - why the popularity of iced drinks in the US but not in other countries? In some countries it may be the availability of water. In the desert regions of the US and in other regions with water issues - Colorado - restaurants do not automatically serve iced water to diners. It is available upon request. Another consideration could be the expense of commercial ice makers and the utility cost of running them. Or is it just a cultural thing?

I have noticed that in the US south we drink hot coffee and iced tea. In the North East tea is served hot and coffee is iced. Your observations/opinions please.

In the UK there is as you will know, a long Pub tradition and the classic pint if beer is at its heart. As any real ale lover will know a perfect pint should not be served iced (this would dilute the drink) or indeed ice-cold. Cold temperatures mask the subtle flavour of the beer. Just as you wouldn't (normally) add ice-cubes to a glass of wine or champagne, you wouldn't add them to beer.

Coke here in restaurants and pubs is often sold in a glass with lots of ice - although the bar tender will normally ask if you want ice.

The other reason is probably climate - it only ever gets very hot in the UK (and then usually in the South) for a few weeks a year. These are the few weeks I dread!

I have to have tea or coffee hot - used to be very hot until I had my throat op. The idea or lukewarm or iced tea and coffee appals me :laugh: The only drink I like ice in is vodka :roflmao:

@Elawin
Shaken or stirred? I like shaken. I have silicon ice trays that make 1 1/2" cubes. Great for shaking a martini or in a cocktail. Much less melting = less water in the drink = no watering down.

Café Solo or Espresso is always served hot. As you know, Spain is profoundly steeped in a Bar culture, and good red wines are served room temperature, white wines, are chilled as beers are. One can order a cold red wine, however, this is not usual.

Sangria is served with ice. Cocktails are served with ice. Cava, sparkling wine is served chilled. Tea is usually served hot. However, one can ask for whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Virtually every drink here is served with ice. Hot coffee is available in some restaurants but I've never seen hot tea. Even green tea is iced.

As any real ale lover will know a perfect pint should not be served iced (this would dilute the drink) or indeed ice-cold.

11 - 12 degC is perfect. Regardless of the ambient temperature.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but about 25 years ago when I stayed in a private home, fairly new construction, upper mid class in Italy, the refrigerator they had was considerably smaller than the one I had back then, which was a mid size, and the freezer area was even smaller percentage wise. If that's still the case, that could be another reason for lack of ice/cold drinks, not enough space. It would be interesting to compare storage capacities.

In pubs, if given the chance, I will ask for just 1 or 2 ice cubes in my drink. If not, I will scoop out the rest and find a receptacle to put them in.
At home, I am happy to drink cold drinks at room temperature.
Tea and coffee, however, must be very hot or I won't drink them, even on a hot day.

I have to admit though, that straight tap water is much more delicious when it's cold in the winter, than chilled water from the fridge in the summer.

When we first moved here in '87 we had a water well. 150' deep drawing water at 60'. The sweetest, most delicious water ever. Unfortunately we are now on city water which is chlorinated. The water line to the ice maker has a filter. I keep a filter pitcher of water in the fridge. During the summer I love ice cold infused water. Coffee is hot winter and summer. I have been known to have a glass of iced coffee in the heat of summer (white - no sugar or sweetener). This winter I have enjoyed hot cinnamon apple tea with a dollop of honey. When my cold was at it's worst I added a couple of crushed Tylenol and a small shot of whisky - extra honey. Put me right to sleep.

I am not positive but I think the iced coffee craze in the US may have originated with Starbucks in Washington State.

In the UK there is as you will know, a long Pub tradition and the classic pint if beer is at its heart. As any real ale lover will know a perfect pint should not be served iced (this would dilute the drink) or indeed ice-cold. Cold temperatures mask the subtle flavour of the beer. Just as you wouldn't (normally) add ice-cubes to a glass of wine or champagne, you wouldn't add them to beer.

Coke here in restaurants and pubs is often sold in a glass with lots of ice - although the bar tender will normally ask if you want ice.

The other reason is probably climate - it only ever gets very hot in the UK (and then usually in the South) for a few weeks a year. These are the few weeks I dread!
They get their coke in syrup form, diluted down to make the drink you see in your glass. I've seen treacle move quicker than the syrup as supplied.

I like iced coffee. It's just too hot here most of the time for hot coffee. BUT, it has to be made correctly. Hot coffee poured over ice doesn't cut it unless the coffee is brewed super strong and then you run the risk of bitterness. Besides the fact that sugar doesn't dissolve real well in cold drinks. For home, I make fairly strong coffee, keep it in the fridge, make simple syrup to sweeten, and we always have cream in the house for cooking since it keeps longer than milk.

Back
Top Bottom