Ideas for evening snack?

Hiraeth

Veteran
Local time
12:40 PM
I'm a complete beginner in the art of cooking. I haven't made much besides omelettes, sandwiches, tea and coffee. And those were consumed by myself alone so I cant even know if they were more than just hunger pang fillers.

But I really want to learn. I find myself, friends and family often feeling hungry in the evenings, when it's not yet time for dinner. Is there anything that can be made easily and quickly to munch on that will be both sufficiently filling and delicious? I don't want sandwiches or anything sweet. Something along the lines of french fries or pop corns.

Any ideas?

A small apple and some peanut butter is a great snack. Apples have lots of nutrients and fiber and peanut butter has fat and protein to help you feel full. Yes, apples have sugar like any fruit, but I don't think it's too sweet, especially if you are pairing it with something like peanut butter which will help prevent a blood sugar spike.

I usually have a bowl of fruit out at all times. When the kids come cruising through the kitchen looking for something to grab, they tend to go for what's most convenient. Since it's already sitting out, they gravitate towards it.

A veggie tray! You can not go wrong with a veggie tray. It's filling, but not real heavy. It's healthy for you. With ranch dip, everyone loves it regardless of their age.

A small apple and some peanut butter is a great snack. Apples have lots of nutrients and fiber and peanut butter has fat and protein to help you feel full. Yes, apples have sugar like any fruit, but I don't think it's too sweet, especially if you are pairing it with something like peanut butter which will help prevent a blood sugar spike.

This is quite interesting. I would never have considered the combination, but recently a friend of mine who is quite health conscious, told me he was having apple and peanut butter. I thought about it since but still have not tried the combo. Now I am seeing it presented with the suggestion that it prevents a blood sugar spike, it has my attention more as I have concerns when it comes to my blood sugar. Thank you.

I grew up with the apple/pb combo. I also grew up with saltine cracker/price of 3 Muskateers candy bar, made like a sandwich. And, the least favorite, microwave popcorn with a nice, tall glass of tomato juice. It always had to be together or not at all.

As a pre dinner snack or something to have with a drink we found habas fritas ,deep fried broad beans ,bought a packet originally from fortnum and masons in London,now available every where ,different flavourings ,just a nice product or how a bout vegetable crisps ,you can buy big packets,healthy and different

As a pre dinner snack or something to have with a drink we found habas fritas ,deep fried broad beans ,bought a packet originally from fortnum and masons in London,now available every where ,different flavourings ,just a nice product or how a bout vegetable crisps ,you can buy big packets,healthy and different
Deep fried broad beans... Sounds intriguing. I don't believe you can go wrong with deep frying anything, but Ive never tried any kind of bean deep fried. To be completely honest, though, I'm not sure if I've ever had broad beans at all. What are they, exactly?

Deep fried broad beans... Sounds intriguing. I don't believe you can go wrong with deep frying anything, but Ive never tried any kind of bean deep fried. To be completely honest, though, I'm not sure if I've ever had broad beans at all. What are they, exactly?
I've not made them they come ready done And flavored , open the packet and away you go,

I've not made them they come ready done And flavored , open the packet and away you go,
It's something I'm going to have to look into. One of the reasons I'm here is for that specific reason. I really want to mix things up and try new things. I've gotten comfortable with the same dinners every week and every month.

It's something I'm going to have to look into. One of the reasons I'm here is for that specific reason. I really want to mix things up and try new things. I've gotten comfortable with the same dinners every week and every month.
That's one thing this forum is good at is new ideas , with its cosmopolitan membership , every day is a learning day , I have been in the industry a long time and I still learn

The apple and peanut butter combo is always a good choice! It's kind of odd when you think about it at first but it tastes really good!

I don't know if it's just me but I enjoy eating green apples with salt. I slice my green apples into wedges and dip them in some salt (whatever salt you have at home). I love it especially when I'm craving for something sour! I also heard that this combo is good for your health as well. Whatever combo you choose (apple+peanut butter or green apple+salt), I'm sure it'll be an awesome evening snack experience!

I don't think eating something heavy or salty will be a good midnight snack. When I am hungry at night, I just eat a slice of apple or a celery stalk. I sometimes eat crackers as well. I stay away from sweets and sandwiches just like you because my stomach hurts at night when I go to bed full.

Back
Top Bottom