Ideas for potato side-dishes

niemela23

Veteran
Local time
9:07 PM
Am looking for a fairly simple potato side dish that is a bit different. I'm making eggplant parmesan tonight so they will be served along with it, the protein I am still unsure of.

I'd like to incorporate some garlic (of course), thyme (have some fresh sprigs right now), and cheese (I have mozzarella, monterey jack, and parmesan) in to my potato side, also. It would be nice if it was a stovetop dish as well, because the eggplant parmesan will be in the oven.

Any ideas anyone?

-J

I'm guessing I have missed the event, but there are loads of options you can do. Having the oven on, I could have gone for homemade chips or miniature jacket potatoes.

Homemade chips are a doddle, simply cut up the potatoes to the chip size (chip as in a UK chip or I think your chunky French fries?). The size is really controlled by 2 things and that is how long you want them in the oven and how you like them! Simply put them on a baking sheet drizzle a little oil over them and bung them in the oven. An oven at 400F/200C will take around 40-45 minutes if the chips are about 1cm thick and something around 475F/230C will take 20-25 minutes. Turn them half way.

Miniature jacket potatoes are exactly what they say they are and the smaller the potatoes the better. Drizzle some oil over them on a baking sheet, some salt and pepper, a few herbs (dried work better) and pop in the oven.

Double cooked jacket potatoes are another option. Cook as normal, then cut in half length ways and remove all the potato to leave the skins. Mash the potato, season and flavour pretty much as you wish (sour cream, cheese, bacon, onion...) now put it back into the skins, sit the skins on a baking tray, add some grated cheese or herbs or anything else you wish and put them back into the oven to reheat. Timing is key. You don't want the mashed potato to cool down too much otherwise they will take too long to get to a sensible temperature.

So what did you decide to go with? You can't go wrong with a cheesy scallop potato dish. It would required all the ingredients you had listed. I am curious as to what you decided to go with. I like the sound of the double cooked jack potatoes. They sound very good. I will have to keep those in mind for a later date.

Back
Top Bottom