If you had the opportunity to get ingredients you have no access to, what would you choose?

Langoustines are delicious and I can get them of course although not that easily. Most get sent to Spain and France! First thing to come to mind - sea urchin - I've never had it and its virtually impossible to find for sale in the UK despite the fact there are loads in the sea around GB. Some high end restaurants occasionally serve them. I'm sure there are quite a few other things... I will think.

I used to hope for Geoduck, and Gooseneck Barnacles, and Razor Clams, but I recently found a Korean market that has all of it. Even live King Crab, Abalone, Sea Urchin, and Dungeoness Crab.

I'd kill to get my hands on langoustines!

Nice, but I have a long list of things I would like to have access to. Here are some on that list ...

Alligator Meat
Alligator Snapping Turtle
Australian Bee Honey
Bass (Large Mouth)
Bull Head
Canada Goose
Cockle Shell
Crappie
Caribbean or Florida Lobster
Conch Fritters
Fern Twirls
Grouper
Lefse
Mallard
Northern Pike
Pheasant
Red Snapper
Sea Turtle
Sun Fish (Fresh Water)
Walleye

.... and more ....

Nice, but I have a long list of things I would like to have access to. Here are some on that list ...

Alligator Meat
Australian Bee Honey
Bass (Large Mouth)
Bull Head
Canada Goose
Cockle Shell
Crappie
Conch Fritters
Fern Twirls
Grouper
Lefse
Mallard
Northern Pike
Pheasant
Red Snapper
Sea Turtle
Sun Fish (Fresh Water)
Walleye

.... and more ....

I'm impressed! I don't even know what some of those things are.

I'm impressed! I don't even know what some of those things are.

Most of the list is fresh water fish. Fern Twirls are the end fronds of giant ferns that are just beginning to uncurl. Lefse is Norwegian. It's a sort of flat bread, but not quite. You use it to swab up gravy and juicy stuff from your meals.

Alligator Meat
Australian Bee Honey
Bass (Large Mouth)
Bull Head
Canada Goose
Cockle Shell
Crappie
Conch Fritters
Fern Twirls
Grouper
Lefse
Mallard
Northern Pike
Pheasant
Red Snapper
Sea Turtle
Sun Fish (Fresh Water)
Walleye

.... and more ....

Wow, I can get many of those just down the road from my house, given a rod and reel, or shotgun.
The rest can be shipped from places like Florida.

You like Largemouth Bass?

Wow, I can get many of those just down the road from my house, given a rod and reel, or shotgun.
The rest can be shipped from places like Florida.

I don't live anywhere near Minnesota anymore. Those are things I miss.

Fern Twirls are the end fronds of giant ferns that are just beginning to uncurl. Lefse is Norwegian. It's a sort of flat bread, but not quite. You use it to swab up gravy and juicy stuff from your meals.

I've heard of those fern twirls by another name (can't recall). I'll add that and Lefse to my list. :)

I've heard of those fern twirls by another name (can't recall). I'll add that and Lefse to my list. :)

Fiddlehead Greens are what they are called when you look for them in the grocer. They look like the curl on the end of a violin, fiddle or cello finger board.

I had to look up what ferns are edible and Fiddlehead Ferns/Greens are harvested from Ostrich Ferns in the North East North America. And that makes sense, because I first tried them while living in Connecticut.

:geek:

Last edited:
Fiddlehead Greens are what they are called when you look for them in the grocer. They look like the curl on the end of a violin, fiddle or cello finger board.

:geek:

Fiddleheads! That's the word I was searching for! Do you know if its a particular fern or could I just go munching the tops of my ferns in the garden?

Fiddleheads! That's the word I was searching for! Do you know if its a particular fern or could I just go munching the tops of my ferns in the garden?

I re-edited my post above to mention that they are from Ostrich Ferns, which are indigenous to NE North America. There may be a Japanese fern that is also edible, The Asian or Japanese Royal Fern.

There may be others, but the one you are referring to is probably the Ostrich Fern.

Be careful, I just read that the vast majority of ferns are toxic.

You can order fiddleheads from oregonmushrooms.com when they are available. Yes, some ferns are toxic, even fiddleheads must be cleaned and treated properly or they cause undesirable GI tract side effects. We ordered some once and neither of us was impressed.

The alligator, conch, lobster, and farmed sea turtle are available frozen.

Last edited:
I wonder if honey can be posted internationally?

I buy my honey directly from local bee keeper, because a lot of the stuff at the supermarkets is imported or blended with imported honey.

A friend in Cairns has a native beehive. I'm not sure if they've attempted to harvest it.

For me it's mostly fish I want. I'm 3'hours from the sea and yes, fish comes up here, even fresh fish but it's not like catching it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom