Increases In Phone and Text Scams

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:29 PM
I was amazed yesterday at the number of phone and text scam messages I received in one single day. They ranged from the 'renew your automobile warranty' to 'special account inquiries' by phone and a text notification about trouble with a bank account with a bank I no longer do business with.

Normally, my cell phone provider weeds out scam phone calls which it identifies and blocks, - or warns as possible scam calls. And normally, the scam callers do not leave voice mail. But yesterday, several voice mail scam attempts were made. Voice mail scam messages are obvious enough for me, but perhaps, not for other people. Often, they do not identify themselves as a particular business entity or person, but just make a request and often, the messages are incomplete or cut off. I identify all regular contacts with labels and do not answer the phone, if the label is not shown on the incoming call. I do check voice mails, but I know what to look for in terms of identifying scam callers.

What really amazed me was that one scam voice mail regarded a special service I have, one that should not be known to any but myself and the service. Obviously, the service had been hacked, allowing the scammer to use them in a scam attempt.

Be aware.

It is a big industry, scamming. The best thing is to never reply, whether by phone, text or email. This is especially true with messages claiming to be from Amazon. They are used as bait a lot. It is often a message telling you you were overcharged, and Amazon owes you money. That is tempting to reply to, but it is a trap.

If you get a message from your bank, call the number you know to be REAL for your bank, and talk to them. With credit cards, use the number on the back of your credit card to call them.

Having elderly parents, this is something I think about, a lot. Right now, my parents are still sharp enough to not take the bait. But, myself sister and I have access to their accounts, and we check them from time to time.

CD

I generally assume any call from a number I don’t recognize is a telemarketer/scam. I screen all my calls, figuring if it’s legit, they’ll leave a voicemail.

This has worked against me twice in the recent past, though, where I’d gotten calls from actual places I’d done business with, following up on an order, but because of their half-assed voicemails, lacking little detail, I assumed they were junk and let them slide, only to find out several days later that my orders had been put on hold pending hearing from me.

I generally assume any call from a number I don’t recognize is a telemarketer/scam. I screen all my calls, figuring if it’s legit, they’ll leave a voicemail.

This has worked against me twice in the recent past, though, where I’d gotten calls from actual places I’d done business with, following up on an order, but because of their half-assed voicemails, lacking little detail, I assumed they were junk and let them slide, only to find out several days later that my orders had been put on hold pending hearing from me.

You appear to approach things the same way I do, except that I don't rely on voicemail for package deliveries. I trust to online tracking. If a vendor has not provided a tracking number, I request it using e-mail and get a response via e-mail where that response is without doubt, a reply to my original e-mail query.

Keep in mind, some scammers do leave voicemail, even by robo-mail. If you have any intelligence at all, you should be able to recognize a scam voice mail and just delete it without reply.

We have recently had a lot of calls from people claiming they want to refund me an over-payment on my washing machine, they know my name and road I live on. Have at times tried to string them along, asking for cash but they cannot pay that way instead I need to give them my Iban number, not bank account but Iban number.
One day I was so fed up my reply was 'not you again, f***off you criminals'. Normally I just tell them that when they die their god will not welcome them because of the shame they are bringing to their family by being dishonest.
Shouldn't be rude I know but someone will fall for it.

I'm fortunate in that I don't get many that make it through my security software which I have even on my phone. But u have had a few in the past where I have strung then along... its the most fun when they claim to be from Microsoft gold service or similar, claiming i have a virus on my system. Being an IT engineer i can string them along for hours and have done in the past. Usually they get fed up safety an hour or so... the name the virus, tell me the name of the virus and I'll check for the file usually stumps them....

My mother can do the 'very dim' act when she wants to. She and my step father are both retired lawyers... i did overhear her on one occasion when the someone rung their landline trying to get access to her desktop... "windows, no I don't need new windows, we had them all replaced with plastic ones less than 12 months ago because the old wooden ones had rotted. They've got a 10 year warranty on them these new windows have..."

I did occasionally have to enlighten them to new scams but to be honest, I'm more concerned about my in-laws. My mother-in-law especially tries to only see the good in people. My father-in-law was a civilian on reception at a police station close to Oldham in Lancashire (Manchester outskirts) so has a better sense on things.

I was amazed yesterday at the number of phone and text scam messages I received in one single day. They ranged from the 'renew your automobile warranty' to 'special account inquiries' by phone and a text notification about trouble with a bank account with a bank I no longer do business with.

Normally, my cell phone provider weeds out scam phone calls which it identifies and blocks, - or warns as possible scam calls. And normally, the scam callers do not leave voice mail. But yesterday, several voice mail scam attempts were made. Voice mail scam messages are obvious enough for me, but perhaps, not for other people. Often, they do not identify themselves as a particular business entity or person, but just make a request and often, the messages are incomplete or cut off. I identify all regular contacts with labels and do not answer the phone, if the label is not shown on the incoming call. I do check voice mails, but I know what to look for in terms of identifying scam callers.

What really amazed me was that one scam voice mail regarded a special service I have, one that should not be known to any but myself and the service. Obviously, the service had been hacked, allowing the scammer to use them in a scam attempt.

Be aware.

I used to get spam calls, especially on the mobile phone, but they have stopped. Only about once every blue moon. A warning comes up on the caller ID, saying Potential Spam. I don't answer it!! I have the software that warns me of impending spam calls. :whistling:

The thing that aggrvates the living hell out of me is why & how are they able to get your phone number & start harrassing you with spam calls. Everyone's number is supposed to be privete!! :mad:

The thing that aggrvates the living hell out of me is why & how are they able to get your phone number & start harrassing you with spam calls. Everyone's number is supposed to be privete!! :mad:

The spammers use software to just dial numbers, incrementing the numbers and calling again and again. They punch in an area code and let the software do the rest. This is called 'bot calling'. They are to that end, somewhat sophisticated. They invest in the software and in the phone bills, but the payoff to them must exist. There are always people who fall for the scams.

They do not know your personal phone number.

However, there are spammers who somehow access business databases and make calls regarding your connection with those businesses and try to suck you in. I have seen this. Just remember that, if you don't get it in writing from your business contact, ignore it. At least, call the business and check if they did the contact.

I've had the same handphone number for over 20 years (albeit on a few lost/different phones). In the last 10 or so years, if I don't recognise the number, I don't pick up (folks have stopped offering me work at my age).

However, I've noticed that I'm receiving more spam through email than I have before. Strange though because my primary email provider is closing down this year so I've upgraded my secondary address and have substituted a "catch all" for my website email addresses.

If I get spam calls in the US or the UK, I answer them in Spanish.
In Venezuela, I answer in English.

Spam calls here are very likely to be in Thai language and it would be very unusual for them to be able to speak English.

There should be a law against that! When we were kids growing up, there was no such thing, These spammers need to be stopped & put out of business!! 😡

Back
Top Bottom