Infused water vs eating fruits and vegetables

Vickeree

Veteran
Local time
8:45 PM
"Infused water " (adding slices of fruits, vegetables and herbs into regular water) and its benefits are all over the internet right now... I tried it myself with slices of lemons and apples drinking it first thing in the morning. My question is how does it differ from just eating fruits and vegetables the old fashioned way? Are there any differences or advantages of drinking infused water vs just eating them instead?

I don't think it's going to have any more benefits than just eating fruit. With lemon most people would not want to eat it at all unless it was heavily sugared, so putting it in water dilutes it a lot so you can actually get the benefits of the juice and possible eat some of the fiber after the flavor has leached out into the water and it isn't so strong and sou.

I think it's just another fad. Here today and gone tomorrow. Just drink water and eat fruit. Drinking water with bits of fruit plonked into it isn't going to do anything for you. Your hardly going to get any goodness from the fruit simply because its dunked in the water. But as with everything, the plusebo effect on people can be a very powerful thing.

There really are no benefits, and as a matter of fact, there are probably less benefits because all you are drinking is super diluted fruit juice. I have tried adding slices to my water before and I thought it tasted nasty to be honest. I would much rather take a bite of the sweet fruit and wash it down with some cold water if need be.

I've found that adding lemon slices to my water just makes it look fancy and that's about it. The difference in flavor is negligible at best. I didn't find it anymore refreshing than a regular glass of ice water or proper lemonade. For me, I like eating fruit, so I have to go with that. The whole infused water thing is just a trend/fad that'll blow over.

It's just the latest trend. I can't see that there would be any difference by eating the fruit and drinking the water separately. If it gives people an alternative to soda though, it's got to be a good thing!

I think the idea behind adding the fruit to the water is one to make the glass look pretty and to add some flavor to the water. Plain water is not very tasty, I find it hard to drink plain water, I need to add some type of taste to the water even if it is only a squirt of lemon juice.

I agree Pat, I think that the addition of fruit or vegetabe slices makes the glass of water look much more pretty and appealing. I do not care much for the flavor because it tastes like overly dilluted juice to me. I would rather have a cold glass of plain water, or a cold glass of juice.

"Infused water " (adding slices of fruits, vegetables and herbs into regular water) and its benefits are all over the internet right now... I tried it myself with slices of lemons and apples drinking it first thing in the morning. My question is how does it differ from just eating fruits and vegetables the old fashioned way? Are there any differences or advantages of drinking infused water vs just eating them instead?
That's a great question, I can't say for sure but I think the water mixed with fruit helps to clean the water, and also give it more nutrients, but a gain I can't say for sure.

Does it really have the same benefit as actually eating the fruit or vegetable? I really doubt it. It might have more minerals and vitamins than just regular water, but it definitely does not capture every benefit you would get from actually eating that same fruit or veggie.

http://www.fruitinfusedwaters.com/day-spa-apple-cinnamon-water/

So thank you Vickeree, You taught me something new and sure enough I went and checked it out. I am always down for something new that does not required much effort and won't kill me. I really do not understand the science of it, but I say why not try it. In my skimming through what I found on the subject, I saw that it was to encourage drinking water for people like me who don't otherwise enjoy plain old water.

Well I didn't know this is a trend nowadays but I can completely see why it would be. People get crazy about all sorts of "healthy stuff".
In reality this is like drinking water. I've done it for years but it's just to give water a more exotic flavour, if you want the health benefit of fruits then eat fruits!

http://www.fruitinfusedwaters.com/day-spa-apple-cinnamon-water/

So thank you Vickeree, You taught me something new and sure enough I went and checked it out. I am always down for something new that does not required much effort and won't kill me. I really do not understand the science of it, but I say why not try it. In my skimming through what I found on the subject, I saw that it was to encourage drinking water for people like me who don't otherwise enjoy plain old water.

And thanks for the link! I'll definitely try out that recipe. I think I've solved my dilemma on weather it is better to eat or infuse fruits and vegetables. Right now I just eat fruits that I enjoy eating anyway and infuse herbs and spices like lime, rosemary and other vegetables that are not so tasty and edible and combine them with lemon slices :)

There is no comparison between drinking water flavored with fruit and eating actual fruit. It's not a fad, as suggested above, it's been around for ages! It's just being touted now as something people should do as a way to get people to drink more water and lay off of sugary drinks like soda. Water is important for the functions of the body.

Back
Top Bottom