Infusing your own oils

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:45 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I love fancy flavored oils but they're usually priced at an arm and a leg.

Since I had an abundance of basil in my garden at home over summer, I infused some olive oil with basil and it's divine. I'm planning to do the same with some rosemary plants I have this weekend as well.

What about you - have you ever tried infusing your own oil? Any good combinations out there you could recommend?

I've always wanted to make my own infused oils. My own laziness has decided against it and I always end up buying them at the store. As for recommendations to try (since I stink and haven't actually made my own) taste-wise, I would go for a Serrano Chili oil. It is hands down one of my all time favorite oil combinations. It goes wonderfully on chicken.

I tried infusing oils a few years ago. I used olive oil and heated it up and added fresh thyme. I let it cool and then bottled it. I stored it in the friedge and was able to used it up fairly quickly, in less than a month. It was so flavourful and great on pasta, chicken and potatoes. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about doing this. Using infused oils is a great way to add flavour to a meal without adding salt. Some other herbs I want to try are rosemary, cilantro, basil, dill. Other versions of infused oils I would love to try to make are garllic, lemongrass and ginger. My husband love spicy heat so for him I would have to make a hot chili oil. We grow our own hot pepper plants and these would be perfect for making the chili oil. Here is a great website on infusing oils.
http://www.epicurious.com/archive/holidays/hanukkah/flavored-oils

I've always wanted to make my own infused oils. My own laziness has decided against it and I always end up buying them at the store. As for recommendations to try (since I stink and haven't actually made my own) taste-wise, I would go for a Serrano Chili oil. It is hands down one of my all time favorite oil combinations. It goes wonderfully on chicken.

Oooh, I didn't even think of chili but that's genius. I always see those pretty bottles at the gourmet stores with chilies in them but I had just been thinking herbs. Perfect suggestion! Thank you!

And @purplepen88 that link is a brilliant resource. Bookmarking it right now!

I tried infusing oils a few years ago. I used olive oil and heated it up and added fresh thyme. I let it cool and then bottled it. I stored it in the friedge and was able to used it up fairly quickly, in less than a month. It was so flavourful and great on pasta, chicken and potatoes. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about doing this. Using infused oils is a great way to add flavour to a meal without adding salt. Some other herbs I want to try are rosemary, cilantro, basil, dill. Other versions of infused oils I would love to try to make are garllic, lemongrass and ginger. My husband love spicy heat so for him I would have to make a hot chili oil. We grow our own hot pepper plants and these would be perfect for making the chili oil. Here is a great website on infusing oils.

@purplepen88 Thanks for explaining how oil is infused, and thank you for the link. I'd like to try doing this at some point. I love infused oils, but they are prohibitively expensive, and I have some rosemary here that a friend shared, and I'd like to try infusing some oil. The only thing I've infused to date is green tea with jasmine blossoms from my garden, and that turned out well, so hopefully this will, as well.

I had no idea that making the infused oil was that simple! Thank you for the useful link. I'm going to have to give this a go one day and experiment with it. It's good to know that it soaks up the flavors fairly quick.

This may not be exact to the topic so pardon this segue. I just recalled that we used to make coconut oil that is good for the hair treatment. The shredded coconut milk is pressed to get the milk - putting a cup of water will help extract the white fluid which is cooked in a pan. After some simmering, the oil will separate while the water evaporates. When cooked, what is left is the coconut oil and some brown solids that we call LATIK. This latik is very delicious, often eaten with native snack delicacies. But you can eat the latik by itself as a dessert.

I have purchased the infused oil at the store which is very costly. I will have to try the link above to make my own and maybe some for gifts as the holidays are approaching.

I tried only once and the oil turned rancid after a few days. I used thyme on my first attempt I am not sure why it became rancid. After that failed attempt I never experimented again except for chili oil which lasts me for about less than a month. Is there anything you put on your oil to keep the shelf life longer?

I have always, for as far as I can remember, made garlic and ginger infused oil. It makes my stir fries much easier when I'm in a rush. I do keep my oil in a cool place though. I also keep a jar instead of a bottle so I can keep it clean in between infusions. I have also made chili infused oil before which was wonderful.

@Bakemehappy where was the oil being kept? I keep mine in a cool place and I just refill my oil leaving the infuser in the oil.

Back
Top Bottom