Interesting post on called "the soy situation"

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:40 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across a guest post on a site today which made for an interesting and we'll referenced read regarding the soy/soya position with respect to it affecting hormone levels and the likes....

www.themuffinmyth.com/2015/02/the-soy-situation-guest-post/

A small quote from the article.... Please follow the link for rest. It makes for some interesting reading! Authors italics and bold.

...But does that make soy bad? Does that make soy inherently unhealthy? Does soy have anything positive to add to our diet and health? The answers thus far are not at all clear. But here is a bit of what we know, and why we should care.

Over the years, soy has gone through more image changes than Madonna. Seen for years as a healthful food – a viable, protein-rich alternative to red meat – more recently soy foods have been said by some ‘health experts’ (I’m not meaning to be flippant, but really no one is a health expert) to lower testosterone levels in men, hamper thyroid function, reduce cognitive function, and block nutrient absorption. Most of these points can be refuted upon closer inspection, for example, soaking and fermenting soy minimises the phytic acid in it, an acid that interferes with iron and zinc absorption. Eating sensible rather than heroic amounts of soy also gets around many of the potential problems.

Here is where it all gets a bit tricky. Why? Because this innocuous looking seed/pea– Glycine max. – has been eaten for thousands of years in China and Japan, and is seen in those countries as integral to health.

Numerous large clinical studies suggest that people who regularly eat soy foods, such as people in Asia, have reduced menopausal symptoms, lower risk of heart disease and less osteoporosis. Some research has also found that eating soy foods can help prevent hormone-related cancers, such as breast, aggressive forms of prostate, and uterine cancer. And it is on the subject of cancer where the controversy really kicks in.

I have heard a lot of bad things about soy for a long time, but mostly from strange quacky sources that I could never be sure were credible. I do think something to do with the preparation process, fermented or not, has a lot to do with it. Also I'm not positive, but I believe in Asia they prepare and eat soy in a way very different from the processed soy milk, etc, we have in the states. My mother actually drinks quite a lot of soy milk and only for that silly reason am I inclined to say it isn't great for you, because her tastes and choices of food are questionable to me, and she eats a lot of bland, un-nutritious food.

I think the outcome is that soya milk is not good, especially the cheaper stuff. Tofu and other soya products are better and in some cases good for you.
I know that I have stopped drinking large quantities of soya milk (I don't mind it in the odd purchased soya latte) and have replaced it with almond milk because I prefer the taste.
But I haven't stopped eating tofu at all. In fact I have probably increased what we use in our diet.

Also I'm not positive, but I believe in Asia they prepare and eat soy in a way very different from the processed soy milk, etc, we have in the states
agreed and the article does suggest that and that the way it is prepared is better for you.

Back
Top Bottom