Is a Shepherd's Pie supposed to have a crust?

North American lamb is less gamey, as you mentioned. But, it is not easy to find, especially in a big beef state like Texas.

CD
Gamey or not, I love lamb. I need to purchase some lamb from my Connecticut local farmer again; and back down in Connecticut at ONE supermarket I could find both New Zealand and "Amish country" lamb - both were good, but for some reason the "Amish Country" meat was far more expensive than the stuff that arrived from the other side of this planet!!!

For what it's worth, my recipe for cottage pie is here:

Spud Recipes

cottagepieingredients.jpg

Gamey or not, I love lamb. I need to purchase some lamb from my Connecticut local farmer again; and back down in Connecticut at ONE supermarket I could find both New Zealand and "Amish country" lamb - both were good, but for some reason the "Amish Country" meat was far more expensive than the stuff that arrived from the other side of this planet!!!
one reason is that they produce a lot more of it over there..

My Shepherd's Pie recipe - I didn't use carrots because I don't like 'em, but they are fairly typical to add. So are peas, but there weren't any in the house. I used turnips and celery. This is an older recipe previously posted here.

Not a great photo, but it is what I have.

2016-01-24-lamb-last-jpg.jpg

Lamb, for sure and it was chopped, not ground/minced as I wanted to approach an older format for making this dish. In this one there is a bed of tater on the bottom.

I grew up with Shepherd's pie as with ground beef. Just learn something. I don’t use a crust for it

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up with Shepherd's pie as with ground beef. Just learn something.

Never wondered what those shepherds were doing with the cows?

In fairness "tacos al pastor" is pork but its name at least is honorary to shepherds rather than say its theirs.

In fairness "tacos al pastor" is pork but its name at least is honorary to shepherds rather than say its theirs.
OK - but the words " pastor", which literally translates as shepherd, could also mean someone who took care of goats - or other animals.The origin of tacos al pastor in Mexico is probably Lebanese or Turkish.

Back
Top Bottom