Is a Shepherd's Pie supposed to have a crust?

Yes. Here, in Canada, people
Would have no idea what Cottage Pie
is. It has become Shepherd’s pie.
Yep, beef is shepherd's pie here for the most part, although, I always use lamb. Which funnily enough becomes an issue for a lot of people. Lamb is for some reason not appreciated as much as it should be and don't know why, although it is becoming more acceptable in the last decade, especially local lamb. Australian and New Zealand lamb was pretty much the only lamb available which was and is much more gammy, so that might be the reason.

Here is a debate in my house. I made a Shepherd's Pie for supper and my grandma in law asked why it didn't have a crust. I stated because they aren't supposed to! This began a lengthy family debate. I'm looking for you folks to weigh in.

The basics of a Shepherd's Pie (without a specific recipe) is beef and veges combined with mushroom soup and various spices then put into a dish. Potatoes go over top of the mixture with more spices/bacon bits/cheese.

What do you guys think? Am I "out to lunch " (Pun totally intended)?

I fear I am rather dogmatic on this issue, to the point I will NEVER order a "shepherd's pie" out if if it contains beef. Shepherds herd sheep and lamb. Not cattle. That's a "cottage pie" - or maybe it can be labeled a "cowboy pie". Unfortunately, around here that means that I almost always order something else. A New World labelling thing, I think. There's enough of a different taste between beef and lamb that I prefer the latter.

Neither dish needs to have a crust. At least not a pastry one. I don't even use that mushroom soup, although mushrooms are welcome to put in an appearance I put potatoes atop, no bready crusts though. A good gluten-free dish, I think.

Last edited:
Once again, I don't think the OP's question is about what goes ON TOP of the shepherd's/cottage pie, but if there is supposed to be a pie crust UNDER the pie filling.

CD
I made a shepherd's pie once, from a Jamie Oliver recipe, where there was potato both under and over the pie. (No pastry in either spot.) It was good.

Once again, I don't think the OP's question is about what goes ON TOP of the shepherd's/cottage pie, but if there is supposed to be a pie crust UNDER the pie filling.

CD
I interpreted it the same way. Grandma (in law) thought there should be a pastry crust underneath. I have never eaten one, but my best friend in high school's mom was from England and she used to make them. At the time I didn't like lamb so I passed on dinner, but I watched her make it. No pastry crust underneath. And I have seen recipes online, never seen a pastry crust underneath.

Now there is no point probably in arguing with the GIL, but just say that's not the way you make them or anyone you know makes them. Perhaps sometime you could make a concession for her and make her one with a pastry crust underneath--or not.

I made a shepherd's pie once, from a Jamie Oliver recipe, where there was potato both under and over the pie. (No pastry in either spot.) It was good.
Oooh I think a deep pie dish with a thin layer of mashed potatoes, which then would be baked toasty before adding the other ingredients atop it and putting a layer of mashed potato on the very top, would be really, really good.

If you line something with pastry, fill it with minced beef/Veg/gravy/whatever, then put a lid on it,. it´s called a Minced Beef Pie. Marks & Spencers used to sell them.
It´s NOT a Shepherd´s Pie, nor a Cottage Pie. Ever.
Here in the US we have a catch all for any savory pie made with a pastry crust (sometimes bottom and top crust, sometimes just a top crust). It's a pot pie. So if it's chicken, beef, turkey, whatever, it's a pot pie. And I love them. And the idea of making one with lamb is a good one. But it won't ever be a shepherd's pie!

Here in the US we have a catch all for any savory pie made with a pastry crust (sometimes bottom and top crust, sometimes just a top crust). It's a pot pie. So if it's chicken, beef, turkey, whatever, it's a pot pie.
Great!
So it´s a pot pie. Different name, same thing!!!

Great!
So it´s a pot pie. Different name, same thing!!!
Yes. Just like aubergine/eggplant, courgette/zucchini, etc.

Except if it's a "minced beef pie" it has to have beef in it. But my question: isn't minced beef the same as ground beef? Because in the US, the meat in a savory pie is not ground (not that I have ever seen) but in chunks.

BTW, these things are quite tasty, but the sodium and fat content are off the charts. It's just an occasional thing, I might eat them twice a year.
1646341429665.png

Last edited:
Yes, it is the same. We have pies with minced meat and pies with chunks of meat here. They are both called pies.
I am not sure why, but in a pie, minced/ground meat doesn't sound appealing. Conditioning, I suppose.

I'm sure its all to do with what we grew up with or expect - but the famous Scotch pie is filled with minced meat.
I think I would prefer my shepherd's pie with chunked meat, too. I have never eaten Scotch pie, either.

Just looked it up and saw it has mutton as opposed to lamb. That might be a bit strong for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom